Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Situation in Pattaya Worsens as Food lines Grow

Liked

Re: The Situation in Pattaya Worsens as Food lines Grow

Somehow the end of my post disappeared. The translation was "hehehehehehehehehehehehehe......"

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Swing View Post
    Somehow the end of my post disappeared. The translation was "hehehehehehehehehehehehehe......"
    I find translations that include a name such as Silom often come up with something that’s nonsense in English. I rarely see Silom translated correctly as Windmill although there have been some valiant attempts - and you’d have to know Silom means windmill anyway.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

If a name is used I type in all CAPS and see if it tries to translate that or not.
    Sometimes it will leave it unmolested...

Had sent money to a friend of a friend but he hasn'r gotten the message to pick it up yet.
    Have you tried searching Facebook using pasted Thai script for his name?
    Maybe he's out in the sticks where he hasn't used wifi to check for messages,

Liked

I shudder when I see all those styrofoam and plastic bags at the food-handout. I imagine it all ending up swimming in the Gulf of Thailand. If I were handing out food, it would be "bring your own plate/bag/cup". In Myanmar, they still have these wonderful stainless steel food containers.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Swing View Post
    In fact. I don't know much about him, not even his real name.All I have is his phone number from 2 years ago. I hesitated to try to call him from the US...
    Try Line, as already suggested. Several reasons: when you write, he can read again until he understands, or put it in online translation. It's not time-sensitive (time shift, and you don't know his sleep/wake pattern), and it's free.

Thai texts from facebook translate poorly because much of it is slang and/or mis-spellt. Proper Thai or English translates well on googletranslate.

I suggest sending messages in your mother tongue. Then a third person who can speak English will understand, whereas when googetranslate mistranslates, and you send the translation, all sense is irrevocably lost.

I once got a message "I want to fly a kite with you" which is the literal translation for "I want to wank with you", but wanking is figuratively "fly a kite" in Thai.The translation was correct, but can only be understand with background knowledge of Thai.

5. 4 Users gave Like to post:

dinagam (June 8th, 2021), francois (June 8th, 2021), goji (June 7th, 2021), Zebedee (June 7th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post

I once got a message "I want to fly a kite with you" which is the literal translation for "I want to wank with you", but wanking is figuratively "fly a kite" in Thai.The translation was correct, but can only be understand with background knowledge of Thai.
    LOL
    Thanks for a good laugh christianpfc.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    I shudder when I see all those styrofoam and plastic bags at the food-handout. I imagine it all ending up swimming in the Gulf of Thailand. If I were handing out food, it would be "bring your own plate/bag/cup". In Myanmar, they still have these wonderful stainless steel food containers.
    [Deleted text] You see all those desperate people on line waiting for something to eat and your concern is what will become of the plastic bags and styrofoam containers.The longer you are unable to return to Thailand the better.

Some text in this post was deleted under rule 2.3.

Jellybean
    Last edited by Jellybean; June 8th, 2021 at 01:25.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

MFAS has lost the plot. Hopefully the moderators will take action.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I will merely add that if that queue is anything like the "free" queues here either for food or food banks - once anyone adds the word FREE at the start of any queue ( no matter WHAT it's for) the queue instantly seems to treble or quadruple in size and FAST !

The size of the queue also rarely seems ever to be based on actual need or necessity but more so just more on plain human greed or people's FOMO for something that is "free" !

That's not to say of course that there are not people in that queue who are not in genuine need of assistance by the way and if so I hope they get the help that they need. But personally I'm always hesitant to judge the perceived "need" in any area simply by looking at the length of any "queue here for free anything" queues.

I CBA looking it up but the last pic that was posted on the board of a "free food for the needy" queue in Pattaya new Soi Buakhao actually turned out to be a queue for free ice cream from a vendor running a free ice cream promotion I seem to recall.

10. User who gave Like to post:

goji (June 8th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    That's not to say of course that there are not people in that queue who are not in genuine need of assistance by the way and if so I hope they get the help that they need. But personally I'm always hesitant to judge the perceived "need" in any area simply by looking at the length of any "queue here for free anything" queues.
    A very good point. Earlier in the year I saw someone distributing free food from a car on the beach front.
    They had to fend off other motorists and people on motorcycles stopping to try and take the free food.

Also ChristianPFC is correct to raise concerns about all the plastic waste and how it will be disposed of. It's probably going to end up in the sea and cause all sorts of problems for marine life that doesn't know how to deal with it. Meanwhile Thailand has more than enough wealth to feed it's population, but except much of it is held by <cannot discuss>.

12. User who gave Like to post:

Moggy (June 8th, 2021)

Liked

People show kindness by giving free food and posters on this forum criticize them and the recipients! Have you no compassion?

14. 3 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (June 8th, 2021), mr giggles (June 8th, 2021), StevieWonders (June 8th, 2021)