Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine Period for Travelers to Thailand Reduced to 10 Days April 1

Liked

Re: Quarantine Period for Travelers to Thailand Reduced to 10 Days April 1

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    A day. I wish.

I went to immigration 2 weeks ago to apply for a Covid 60 day extension.

Day 1 . Spent an hour in the queue to be told come back next week. (Can only apply 7 days ahead).
    Day 2. Spent 2 hours there and and only given 9 days...under consideration...come back in 9 days.
    Day 3. Went back today (day9) and told copy this copy that. Did so and they kept passport. Told to return Monday.
    Day 4. What will happen? I have no idea. Hopefully get a few more days.
    My comment (spend one day at immigration) referred to pre-Covid. But then (2017) I figured out that I rather do a visa run every 60 days than extend for 30 days. The 1900 THB saved this way payed for the flights, and I saw some other countries to see if they could be an alternative to Thailand. Never put all eggs in one basket! It paid out, I would not have gone to Cambodia during Covid if this had been my first time to Cambodia, but having been here for visa runs from Thailand, I had a rough idea about the country and conditions here.

The Covid extension would be a way to stay in Thailand long-time, but first I don't know how long it will be possible this way, and second all the hassle and uncertainty you describe!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    I've never heard of it.
    Zugzwang. Neither have I, in English. How would you say? When I wrote the post, I immediately had Zugzwang in mind, but didn't know an English equivalent, so I went to google and got Zugzwang.

Figuratively, I'm sitting in my armchair and looking at Thai entry requirements:
    The original Tourist Visa in November: dismissed!
    The shortened quarantine period: must try harder!

If there is any positive in Covid, it shows that Thailand is more dependent on foreign tourists than I am dependent on Thailand. If someone had told me a year ago that I would be out of Thailand for a year (1apr) or even longer (at current situation, it might only be in autumn that I return), I would have been horrified and devastated! Now I have settled Cambodia and am nitpicking the Thai entry requirements. COE? Me? I don't think so!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    Zugzwang. Neither have I, in English. How would you say? When I wrote the post, I immediately had Zugzwang in mind, but didn't know an English equivalent, so I went to google and got Zugzwang.
    I don't think there is an English equivalent. Disenfranchised is the best that comes to mind, but that's not quite right.

Liked

I'd only encountered the use of Zugzwang in English for chess, where the players are forced to move when it is their turn, even if it would be advantageous not to move. So it's a "forced move".

Whilst Christian is better qualified than me to comment, I would expect a long list of German words that have no English equivalent. That's because in German they frequently join many words together to make one long one.

Whilst the Thais are under a lot of pressure, they actually have only made a small step here. Quarantine is shortened very slightly, probably backed by data.
    The tourist industry actually needs bigger steps, although right now, whatever Thailand does will only make a small difference, due to other international restrictions.

5. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 21st, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The latest "Integrity Legal" Youtube report is more optimistic.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    A day. I wish.

I went to immigration 2 weeks ago to apply for a Covid 60 day extension.

Day 1 . Spent an hour in the queue to be told come back next week. (Can only apply 7 days ahead).
    Day 2. Spent 2 hours there and and only given 9 days...under consideration...come back in 9 days.
    Day 3. Went back today (day9) and told copy this copy that. Did so and they kept passport. Told to return Monday.
    Day 4. What will happen? I have no idea. Hopefully get a few more days.
    As I recall you told us that you had applied for a “retirement” visa rather than the “special tourist visa” that is tailored to your trip. You are now going through the torturous process to extend a visa of the class which you were granted rather than the much simpler extension of the one for which you should have applied.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I originally applied for and was granted my usual 90 day O Visa (over 50 year old).

I recall at the time the STV visa was only valid 60 days and with no guarantee of a 30 day extension, although it is usually granted. This I wanted to avoid.

As my 90 days are up I had the choice of either a standard 30 day extension or the Covid 60 day extension. I chose the latter for flexibility of return dates.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (March 22nd, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

As you’re doubtless aware gerefan2, today is the 81st morning this year you’ve woken up in Thailand. Me too. But I’m consoled by making a context-sensitive application of Churchill’s riposte to the woman MP who accused him of being drunk.

Liked

After total end of quarantine,,,and no $100,000 insurance, which almost no other country applies...I will come, otherwise...forget it all...This is just ME...

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

seenus (March 22nd, 2021), StevieWonders (March 22nd, 2021)

Liked

While on this topic, what's up with the Thailand Elite card? Are they still offering 5 year VISAs? Maybe some pampered quarantine service, or something?