Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Vaccination (for Thais) soon to begin

No Platformed
    Liked

Re: Vaccination (for Thais) soon to begin

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Looks like expats and migrant workers will get vaccinated in Thailand:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/120..._campaign=news
    According to the Bangkok Post migrant workers at least are not entitled to a free vaccination - their employers are expected to pay for them

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...ne-in-thailand

No Platformed
    Liked

In a move that cdnmatt and bkkguy assert will be a forgers' and hackers' nirvana, Air New Zealand will be trialing a "vaccination passport" in April. It seems that neither poster has yet been able to identify a single hacked government database where entirely new records have successfully been inserted but I'm a patient man (a record of a vaccination event where none had occurred is precisely the sort of hack that would be needed) and happy to keep reminding them.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/124...during-covid19

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    In a move that cdnmatt and bkkguy assert will be a forgers' and hackers' nirvana, Air New Zealand will be trialing a "vaccination passport" in April. It seems that neither poster has yet been able to identify a single hacked government database where entirely new records have successfully been inserted
    give it a rest Stevie - you wanted to know what to hack to allow someone with an app on their iPhone to get a fake certificate and I posited hacking the vaccination database as a possibly better alternative than hacking the phone app directly - as I said at the time I am neither a "white hat" or "black hat" hacker but, as then, I still do not see this as beyond the realms of possibility based on what I had read, but I don't think that commits me to a lifetime of investigation of every large-scale hack just to satisfy your desire for proof that this has actually been done when I never claimed I had that proof

and Air New Zealand, and every other airline and its dog, and every air travel organisation and its dog and every government and its dog, and indeed every dog and its dog can develop and /or deploy a "vaccination passport" but the problem, as I also said in that original post, is that the "passport" you actually require is the one accepted by the airline you want to fly on and the country you want to fly to, and that may or may not be compatible with the vaccination "passport" or "certificate" issued in your home country - or perhaps you don't read very much on this topic and assume that all these passports and certificates are in some way compatible?

more importantly, realistically what decisions do you think a government, business, etc, can make based on being presented with a "vaccination passport" based on our limited, but yes expanding rapidly, knowledge of what vaccination really means for control of the virus and its consequences, eg how easily does the Thai government decide to change quarantine requirements, pre-/post-entry testing requirements, etc given a vaccination passport for a specific vaccine and time period of dose administration, the various virus strains commonly found in the country of origin and the types and numbers of vaccinations already done in the Thai population, or again are you not widely read and see "vaccination passports" as a simple and universal panacea?
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

4. User who gave Like to post:

StevieWonders (February 22nd, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Is it your white hat or your black hat you’ve been talking through? Asking for evidence is a rhetorical question - such a hack of a Western government database has never reported, as any IT security literate person knows

Liked

Fine, go Google Stuxnet. There's your proof records can be inserted onto a host computer.

No Platformed
    Liked

Matt’s original suggestion was at least semi-plausible - hack the local copy on the individual phone. As security on Android phones is rubbish it might work, hence my follow-up question “what about the iPhone?”

As for Stuxnet let’s be clear - it was a virus intended to modify the behaviour of existing records and devices - it did not create entirely new, additional records, which is the basic requirement here.

8. User who gave Like to post:

wingnut (February 23rd, 2021)

Liked

You guys have gotta be kidding. How many government health systems are there? No programmer is going to spend his time trying to hack them. Too little payback for the effort. Much easier to scam people by offering a way to jump the vaccination queue as is happening here.

Liked

[QUOTE=StevieWonders;275044]Matt’s original suggestion was at least semi-plausible - hack the local copy on the individual phone. As security on Android phones is rubbish it might work, hence my follow-up question “what about the iPhone?”

I've never played with iSO so could be wrong, but it's just Apple's own flavor of linux, so I'm sure it works the same basic way. Could be as easy as just adding a single line to the /etc/hosts file on either, Android or iOS.

No code needs to be modified, no rows need to be inserted, and the app wold continue to work exactly as is. Flash it to a Thai immigration officer, they would have no way in telling it's fraudulent unless they actually picked up the phone and called the government of origin, which they're not going to do 99.8% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    As for Stuxnet let’s be clear - it was a virus intended to modify the behaviour of existing records and devices - it did not create entirely new, additional records, which is the basic requirement here.
    What? Of course it inserted infromation into the host's computer. Same thing.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    What? Of course it inserted infromation into the host's computer. Same thing.
    Stuxnet triggered a process. Processes generally do not necessarily insert new database records; they will generally create an audit trail. Stuxnet triggered processes that misled the operators to adjust the machine controls which had the effect of destroying the enrichment machinery. It’s akin to carrying out a payment run in an Accounts Payable system. That’s a process that alters the status of an existing record from unpaid to paid. It doesn’t create a new record. However the audit process records the change that was made. As you claim IT literacy you’ll understand the acronym CRUD. I’m discussing CRUD activities, you’re discussing CRUD processing audits.

Inserting a unique virus is not the same as creating a record that is in every sense identical to the thousands of other records in a database except that it records something that doesn’t exist or never happened.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy
    more importantly, realistically what decisions do you think a government, business, etc, can make based on being presented with a "vaccination passport" based on our limited, but yes expanding rapidly, knowledge of what vaccination really means for control of the virus and its consequences, eg how easily does the Thai government decide to change quarantine requirements, pre-/post-entry testing requirements, etc given a vaccination passport for a specific vaccine and time period of dose administration, the various virus strains commonly found in the country of origin and the types and numbers of vaccinations already done in the Thai population, or again are you not widely read and see "vaccination passports" as a simple and universal panacea?
    I suspect Occam's Razor would apply, wouldn't you? As for how Thai Immigration would handle it, my views are set out already on p.6 of this thread. In the meanwhile here's a report of what Prayuth is reported as saying yesterday
    Thailand may scrap mandatory quarantine for foreign visitors vaccinated against Covid-19 as it may help the nation revive its tourism industry, according to Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha.

Foreigners visiting Thailand may be allowed to skip the two-week isolation if they furnish vaccination certificates but authorities will continue to track them, Prayuth said after a cabinet meeting in Bangkok Tuesday. The government will carefully consider all aspects of such a move before implementing them, the prime minister said.
    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/thailand...ists-1.1567286