Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thai COVID-19 vaccine acquisitions

Liked

Re: Thai COVID-19 vaccine acquisitions

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post
    How convenient!
    They produced the strain as well as the vaccine for it.
    I assume that comment is some sort of weak humour.
    The strain was not produced in the UK. It was first spotted in the UK because they were using more advanced forms of genetic sequencing than other countries.
    In fact it has probably been in US for some time according to Eric Topol, head of Scripps Research in California.
    Tell me Dinagam -- do you also believe that The 1918 flu pandemic started on Spain?
    Finally let me point out that the Oxford vaccine is being supplied on a non-profit basis.
    And a last 'finally' -- 172 countries signed the COVAX treaty to supply vaccines at cost ------ except USA.

2. 4 Users gave Like to post:

goji (January 9th, 2021), Moggy (January 9th, 2021), Nirish guy (January 9th, 2021), StevieWonders (January 10th, 2021)

Liked

Thailand is in a right mess over Covid. If the government had been at the front of the vaccine queue, there's a very good chance that only one tourist season would have been lost, yet now they just keep saying that tourism doesn't really matter to the Thai economy, which everyone knows is BS - there's no obvious plan to get it back up to speed in time for the autumn.

Unless government changes tack pronto, the next season will be almost as bad.

The upside though is that although things are grim in the UK right now, the fact that no-one gets it twice, and vaccinations are being rolled out for those at mortal peril; does mean that we are likely to be effectively post-Covid within a few months now, as will most other nations.

But the LoS will still be agonising over it when others have got back to normal, something that is likely to play out both on the exchange rate and the price of tourist related real estate.

- This autumn might see the great Thai fire sale take place..

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    Thailand is in a right mess over Covid. If the government had been at the front of the vaccine queue, there's a very good chance that only one tourist season would have been lost ...
    Perhaps you should have a look at yesterday’s Guardian (not a recommendation you’ll often hear from me). A number of countries with a low incidence of COVID-19 infections during 2020 have deliberately chosen to delay vaccination programmes so as to see if any significant “negative events” occur with those who have been vaccinated. While it’s always difficult to determine Thai government policy on any given day, that may well represent the thinking behind their failure to follow your advice. As I recall Taiwan, Korea, Japan and Australia were mentioned.

Liked

"Perhaps you should have a look at yesterday’s Guardian (not a recommendation you’ll often hear from me). A number of countries with a low incidence of COVID-19 infections during 2020 have deliberately chosen to delay vaccination programmes so as to see if any significant “negative events” occur with those who have been vaccinated. While it’s always difficult to determine Thai government policy on any given day, that may well represent the thinking behind their failure to follow your advice. As I recall Taiwan, Korea, Japan and Australia were mentioned."

Some of the vaccine methodology is very novel. Given the short timespan of the trials, vaccinating children and those of child bearing age who are at negligible risk from the bug itself would seem reckless, but using it to protect those who are in mortal danger is a no-brainer.

By vaccinating the very old and older people with health issues, the death risk can be neutralised, and the risk of needing hospital treatment greatly reduced. That much done, a country can say: "OK - let's get this over with.."

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    Some of the vaccine methodology is very novel. Given the short timespan of the trials, vaccinating children and those of child bearing age who are at negligible risk from the bug itself would seem reckless, but using it to protect those who are in mortal danger is a no-brainer.

By vaccinating the very old and older people with health issues, the death risk can be neutralised, and the risk of needing hospital treatment greatly reduced. That much done, a country can say: "OK - let's get this over with.."
    I’ll pass your advice on to the governments of those countries.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Today during a regular visit with my doctor at one of Pattaya’s private hospitals amid a new level of screening I asked him if the hospital is treating Covid patients he say 10 are in a separate wing, I then asked him when he would receive the vaccine he said very unenthusiastically the staff will receive the first shot of the Chinese vaccine next month with the general public to receive a vaccine sometime next year.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Chinese vaccine???? I would not want it....who even knows does it work???? anyone know

No Platformed
    Liked

The most pessimistic assessment I've read so far - March 2022 is when things will return to "normal" in Australia (which hasn't done so badly)
    https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/poli...ly-until-2022/

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday View Post
    Chinese vaccine???? I would not want it....who even knows does it work???? anyone know
    There’s more than one and there are unofficial test results from several countries. There was a BBC report at the end of last year -
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55212787

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday View Post
    They vaccinated only in China over 9 000 000 already. It works.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com