Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thailand Mulls Over Reopening May Put Hold On Brits

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Thailand Mulls Over Reopening May Put Hold On Brits

I take a more sanguine view, namely that if a447's first point is answered by both governments, indicating that the pandemic is under control, then insurance should be available. FCO advice not to travel to a particular destination is enough reason for insurance to be denied at the moment, of course, but once travel is normalised then this advice should be lifted. I suppose that we can expect increased premiums whatever happens.

2. User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (June 2nd, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Your key words there of course Oliver2 be cover "should be available" - but it's not and my own insurer has made it fairly clear that it wont be being added to policies any time soon at ANY price. I guess an insurer has to have SOME idea of the risks and costs involved to let them even think about generating a cover premium to charge but without that info (yet) they simply aren't in a position to do that and are in no rush to take that chance and so will leave it up to ourselves to negate that risk or not without own money if we go ahead and travel.

its a bit like the whole business interruption (scam) that the insurers have ust gotten away with pulling on just about every business owner who pays them for "Business Interruption Cover". So, Covid hits, business turnover falls off a cliff for most businesses and business IS interrupted. We call our insurers to claim on the special policy we have in our cover for just such a situation, only to be told "ahhh yes you're covered, but only for things listed in your policy ( fire, flood, pestilence and literally just about EVERY other conceivable thing imaginable) BUT we dont cover you if it was Covid that interrupted your business".

What says we, but this is EXACTLY why we have your cover to cover us against unexpected interruption to our business, which their reply is "ahh but we only cover you for things we KNOW about and that we've listed in your policy and you'll see that Covid isn't listed there so that means no, sorry you're not covered for that. But says we, but it COULDN'T have been listed as it didn't even exist 6 months ago when we took out our policies - AHHHH EXACTLY say's them, there you go and THAT is why you're not covered you see !

Total chicken and egg situation and I fear the same situation will end up occurring with travel insurance, at least for now they ARE being specific and telling you straight, you're not covered about ANYTHING to do with Covid full stop. Although I see my insurance has sneakily really made that ANYTHING linked to covid so that even if you're fine and your flight is cancelled etc just as normal just to some government decree that TOUGH, if that was even remotely linked to a Covid situation in any way even your normal flight cancellation cover etc is void too ! A great new way for them to get out of all SORTS of claims in the future I'm guessing.

Liked

Wouldn't covid19 now be treated as a "known event", therefore relieving the insurance companies of the need to cover it?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    Wouldn't covid19 now be treated as a "known event", therefore relieving the insurance companies of the need to cover it?
    THAT would be logical and was my comment to the insurers - their answer was it was their choice on what if anything to offer cover on and they were currently declining to offer cover on ANYTHING covid related and as it's not listed in any of their policy documents one would have no reason to think they ARE covered for it - although in fact to avoid doubt they have actually added a paragraph specifically spelling that lack of cover out - now. And as they pointed out their cover ISNT a catch all cover all all and any eventualities as they claim no such cover could exist - silly me eh.

I DO see their point to some degree, but also think it's lightly handy to throw that into the pot now when faced with a deluge of claims of course.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    There's still the problem of the insurance requirement coupled with every insurance company refusing to insure against the virus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    That’s a good point, how is that going to play out if and when Thai authorities ( and many other Countries) INSIST you now have full travel / medical insurance cover before they’ll admit you. BUT on the other hand no issuer it seems is going to include Covid cover in their policies. So, if that’s the case who’s going to blink first there and give in on that point I wonder ? Or will we simply perhaps be required to state that we’ll all personally underwrite all and any possible medical bills Re that ourselves and perhaps have to provide proof of means that would enable us to do so up to a set amount perhaps - and more importantly IF that were to be the case WOULD YOU sign up for that even !? As it’s a bit like flying with no insurance now I guess in that it’s all fine and dandy until something serious happens and the next thing you know you’re having to sell your house to cover the possible medical evac flight costs etc possibly required to get you home !
    Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    I'm really looking forward to going back to LOS but 3 conditions must be met first. 2. the ability to get insurance against the virus. As others have pointed out, that isn't going to happen.
    With regards to 'Travel Insurance' you need to consider exactly what part of the insurance you are referring to and which parts of the insurance are most important for you when travelling. According to my travel insurance provider the 'known event' part really only seems to apply to that part of your insurance where you are not going to be covered for changes/cancellations of flights, accommodation etc delays and costs for having to isolate caused directly by Covid19.

I have already accepted that as far as those parts are concerned I'm fine to take the risk, if there are extra cost due to delays, having to isolate etc I will just accept there will be extra costs. Up to now my 'still reserved' booking with KLM is good to move as much as I like without penalty, hotels, apartments I will book on the basis of no cancellation fee. But the MAIN part of my Travel Insurance for me, is medical treatment, hospitalisation for anything but also due to catching the disease itself, in that case, as I read it, my insurance states "we will continue to cover any medical claims due to coronavirus if you are travelling to an area where no FCO advice against travel exists at the time of travel" under which circumstances (FCO advice against travel) I wouldn't be considering anyway. (If I've read far enough into those hidden T&Cs).

Have others with annual Travel Insurance noticed similar notes from their Insurers?

7. User who gave Like to post:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

=newalaan2;267064Have others with annual Travel Insurance noticed similar notes from their Insurers?

Just checked and my revised policy quote says the following :

“Important Changes to your Policy: From your renewal date, your policy will not cover 1) any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus (COVID-19), Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (SARS-COV2), any mutation/variation of these, or any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses (this general exclusion applies to all sections of cover); 2) any claims relating to Third Party Supplier Insolvency and Scheduled Airline Failure (these sections of the policy have been removed.”

So to be the words “will not cover ANY claims caused by ... Covid etc” says it all really and is enough for me perhaps to start looking around to see what else is out there perhaps.

The cover by the way with with Multitrip . Com and was via Alliance I believe and was on of their top bands of cover at a cost of roughly £75-85? a year or so I believe.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Not a problem.

I don’t think there are any of us now planning to come to Thailand in July. Airlines haven’t even started and nobody would want to pay good money until we know EVERYTHING is back to normal.

The big worry will be later in the year for high season. Hopefully, even the UK will be over the worst by then...maybe
    I'm coming back for sure July, and at least FINNAIR will start full scale Asian operations 1 July. Whole corona has been small splash killing only those who had already one leg or both in grave.

11. User who gave Like to post:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Philex View Post
    I'm coming back for sure July, and at least FINNAIR will start full scale Asian operations 1 July. Whole corona has been small splash killing only those who had already one leg or both in grave.
    But...
    Will you go in July if you have to do 2 weeks in quarantine?
    Will you go if the bars are still closed?
    Will you go if the Gogo bars are shut?

It’s not the risk of catching the Virus. They had hardly any of it,compared to Europe. In fact you will have far less chance of getting it than if you remained in Europe.

Liked

My insurer (multi-trip) declared Covid as a "known event" back in March, therefore no Covid cover for any NEW trips.

The insurance issue will be sorted one way or the other:

Either:

1 The insurers will start offering cover with some level of covid cover, at a significantly higher price. It shouldn't be too difficult to estimate the covid risk for someone going to Thailand in July & price a policy based on that.

OR:
    2 Thailand will have to offer incoming tourists some kind of arrangement. e.g. Pay a fixed fee and get medical cover.

14. User who gave Like to post:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    The insurance issue will be sorted one way or the other:.
    Or the third possibility that neither of your two options come to fruition and so we’re left to decide to travel and “risk it” with the clear understanding that of covid treatment / evac flights are needed then that’s something we’ll have to pay for ourselves and if hospitalised our hospital “account” will need to be paid in full before we’re allowed to leave ( either the hospital or the Country) perhaps.