List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Supposing it all became too expensive...where next?

Liked

Re: Supposing it all became too expensive...where next?

2. User who gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (November 30th, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

a447 is correct in many respects but I've no desire to "try" other places. I did so in the 90s- in four continents- and my view was then that Thailand (in particular Pattaya) was sui generis.

Sadly, I'd never consider Brazil, anyway, with its homophobe, racist ,evangelical President setting himself up as a dictator. And I mean sadly because I love Brazilian football and the Afro-Brazilian culture a love forged by the film Black Orpheus which I saw in the 60s.

Pattaya still has unique qualities; good and competitively priced hotels....you can stay (for example) at The Agate for 1600pn and Zing for less. There are few places in the world where you can get such quality for such low prices, even after the strength of the baht is taken into account. Furthermore, I've never felt unsafe at night, even in the backstreets. Finally, and this is more important for me than perhaps for others, P and I can stroll hand-in-hand anywhere we choose without provoking so much as a second glance.

I count myself blessed that the the decline of the pound is a big nuisance to me rather than a game- changer. Mu future (such as it) lies there.

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

chip (November 29th, 2019), poshglasgow (November 30th, 2019)

Liked

1 £3000 is quite a satisfactory budget for a fortnight.
    Assume we spend ~£600 on the flight, that's £2400 for 14 days.
    6500 baht per day. I have no problem getting a hotel, coffee, food, more coffee, beach chairs, baht buses and a boy for less than this.
    If the budget were looking a little stretched, I would examine expenditure in the other 52 weeks first. There may be something like a sub-optimal phone contracts, motoring costs or whatever that could be omptimized with little effort.
    Or if one were gay & single, rent the spare room out to a cute student.

2 I've been to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Burma, Malaysia and The Philippines, some several times. Whilst they are all worth visiting, I don't see any as a cheap alternative to Thailand.
    For the R&R side, Philippines might be one of the better candidates. The boys expect 33~50% less than in Thailand and are available on the apps. However, I don't see the same price/quality offer with hotels that Thailand has. Some of the food is poor. I don't think it's as safe as Thailand & whilst I travelled around by public transport in the day time, I simply didn't bother taking a taxi to any of the gay bars.

3 I've not been to Brazil. Every forum I read has reports of muggings. I don't want to go around cocooned in taxis for safety. Even then, people get mugged between the taxi and the restaurant.

6. 3 Users gave Like to post:

chip (November 29th, 2019), christianpfc (November 30th, 2019), splinter1949 (November 30th, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    chip...theres the problem..u probably had a USD5000 watch ...even a newbie that has spent the last 20 years living under a rock knows that in brazil u wear NO jewlry..no cameras...no iphones...
    Don't make assumptions if you don't have the facts about me. I do not wear any jewelry, or watches when I travel and carry very little cash. I dress in jeans t-shirt and runners. I certainly don't exhibit wealth in any way. And for you assumption that every "newbie" should know what not to wear while there is certainly not true. An Asian fellow who was visiting Rio for the first time, a newbie as you call them, was robed of his back pack on the beach. He tried to get away with his back pack and was killed for his effort. Thailand is a great place to go, regardless of whether one is into the gay scene.

8. User who gave Like to post:

francois (November 30th, 2019)

Liked

gogi, smart move stay away from Brazil. Even the guys who act a bit gay are usually straight. The guys you meet in saunas are straight. They play the game well, do what they need to do quickly, they do as little as possible, most will not let you touch them take your money and leave. The gay scene in Rio and SP are pretty much "fake" when it comes to hustlers. The only plus years ago was it was cheap, their currency was in the toilet, it was at that time a cheap place to go, 20/25 years ago.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Chip's remark about Brazilian rent-boys reminds me that there's another reason to celebrate Thailand as the "numero uno" of gay destinations. ....the sheer number of gay guys there-and not just money-boys. Where else can you go to saunas and meet cute , gay guys who are there for pleasure for money? Yes, there are straight mbs and some of our community prefer them....but they don't claim to be anything other than they are.
    Thai culture is much accepting of gay sexuality than Brazil and other Christian countries, or other faiths come to think of it.

11. User who gave Like to post:

chip (November 29th, 2019)

Liked

Rio de Janeiro is a truly awesome city to visit. The cable car ride to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain is fantastic. The beaches are wonderful for eye candy. The carnival is uninteresting and looks much better on tv. Visiting Christ the Redeemer on Corcovado Mountain is the most wonderful building I've ever seen. Simply inspiring. Playing football on the Copacabana is totally exhausting but thrilling. Their grilled meat on skewers is bloody and charred and delicious. Watching a football game at the world famous Maracana Stadium is following the ledends who've played there. Rio is definitely a must visit city in my view.

But for sex and boys and having fun, nowhere matches Pattaya. And safe safe safe too. Unless you act like a total arsehole.

13. 2 Users gave Like to post:

chip (November 30th, 2019), Marsilius (November 30th, 2019)

Liked

Liked

Hard to believe.
    But these things do happen.
    Very sad.
    ..........and that's the way it is.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post

But for sex and boys and having fun, nowhere matches Pattaya. And safe safe safe too. Unless you act like a total arsehole.
    And there is the bottom line.
    ..........and that's the way it is.

17. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (November 30th, 2019), frequent (November 30th, 2019)