Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Employer Rip Off

Liked

Employer Rip Off

Hi, first time poster but long time reader here, just a long shot question, my Thai BF was working at a Hua Hin hotel for around 2 months +, and recently was terminated "for not following hotel policy". He had done nothing wrong, other than borrow a small amount of money from a staff member, and did not return his uniform in person, but by post. He has worked 3 weeks of a 4 week pay period, and the hotel is refusing to pay him, which would be around 5-6000 baht. Does anybody know if there is a government body or whatever that can ensure the hotel pays him, like 3 weeks work with 24/7 shifts and no pay is a bit rich, even for Thailand. Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:

Liked

Re: Employer Rip Off

If you put "Employee rights in Thailand" into Google, absolutely masses of material comes up. Too much for me to read, but on the surface it looks like it might help a lot.
      "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

From time to time one hears the sad tale of an expat who gets into a dispute with tradesmen in the LoS.

They tend to assume that western due process will apply, that there will be some sort of court action or official arbitration. It tends not to go that way.

The last one I heard of was ambushed taking his kid to school and spent six months in a coma before he died.

Your friend's best recourse is probably to hire half a dozen heavies as backup, march into the hotel and confront the manager - he'll almost certainly back down.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
      Your friend's best recourse is probably to hire half a dozen heavies as backup, march into the hotel and confront the manager - he'll almost certainly back down.
      What nonsense!
      Thai labour laws are very strict and usually there is a three month trial period for both sides.
      He must find out if there is some sort of labour union My company with 12 Thai staff had one.
      I wonder if there is a sort of Thai Citizens Advice Beauro because it looks as if he has been mistreated.
      Last edited by christianpfc; August 6th, 2019 at 21:07. Reason: fix quote

Liked

If a termination notice is required (1-2 months ), and he didn't have one, either party could be liable. An employee quitting on 24 hours notice owes the employer a month's wage.

Forum's veteran
      Liked

Just out of interest you're saying that Dinagam (about the 24 hours notice thing and a months wages etc) as if that's a an across the board "fact" for ALL employees in Thailand - IS that the case and if so does that mean that there's some standard Countrywide basic automatic "Terms of Employment" rights in place for ALL Thai citizens - again is this the case and does each citizen / employer not sit down and draw up their own unique employment terms / contract at the time of giving or accepting a job there - just for me own info btw, I'm not doubting what you're saying, just asking ?

Liked

An employment at an hotel is registrable at the department of social securities and therefore is governed by rules of the contract, such as the matter of hiring and termination. Those who are confirmed in their position will have to give notice of at least one month if they wish to draw the last monthly salary. Those still on probation will get a pro-rata daily wages depending on the goodwill of the employer. If they abscond with the uniform, a fee is payable. By pleading insanity the employer might just close the case.

Forum's veteran
      Liked

Just send him the 5-6000 Baht and be done with it.

• 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (August 6th, 2019), Jellybean (August 6th, 2019), Patanawet (August 6th, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
      Just send him the 5-6000 Baht and be done with it.
      The above advice by gerefan2 is the best advice I've read so far, Postboy. If I were you, I'd take his advice, send the money to your boyfriend, chalk it up to a bad experience and put the matter behind you. Whilst the amount is no doubt significant to your boyfriend, it probably isn’t to you and not worth all the hassle of attempting, and doubtless failing, to get the hotel to pay up.

And, while here, may I offer you a warm welcome to the forum!

Liked

Let your deep pockets come to the rescue. Teach him when things don't go his way, don't stand up for yourself while deep pockets is his boyfriend...

I need a deep pockets boyfriend myself...
      These are the good'ol days