Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Buying Baht

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Buying Baht

Anyone else buying Baht? Or putting money into their Thai bank accounts to beat the drop of the GBP?

Liked

Re: Buying Baht

Putting money in my Thai bank account would only "beat the drop of the GBP" if the GBP drops further.

Several years ago, between 80 & 90% of my investments were in non GBP assets (excluding my house). That situation is not significantly changed. I try not to act after the horse has bolted, although if the horse is only just warming up, perhaps the percentage of my portfolio in GBP might take a further hit.
    Luckily I know I'm not smart enough to predict currency movements in the short term & even the long term is a little optimistic.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I should have added that this is being put aside for a forthcoming 3 month trip in November. Not long term.

At the current rate it seems unstoppable!

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

I wouldn’t be a surprise that at some point in the next 18 months the GBP is on a par with the U.S. dollar as it soon with be the same as the Euro.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    I should have added that this is being put aside for a forthcoming 3 month trip in November. Not long term.

At the current rate it seems unstoppable!
    Well, at least you have the benefit of knowing what the rate is.
    For my 3 month winter trip, I have money for about 1 month already in my Thai bank account from previous trips.

I'm not planning to change any more until December, when the trip starts.

I guess the direction of the pound will be heavily dependent on politics. If Brexit is fixed and we avoid a marxist government, then the pound may rally.
    If we have a marxist government, then we would be lucky to get 20 baht to the pound after 5 years of that. [Corbyn is a completely different animal to Tony Blair].