Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flying to Thailand from the UK just got more expensive

Banned
    Liked

Re: Flying to Thailand from the UK just got more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Still only 36 though, so still young enough to change this world for the better,
    Excellent Matt, just the comment I've been waiting for. What exactly have you done in the past week/month/year "to change this world for the better"? I ask because like most members here I'm aware that you have abandoned the democratic country of your birth where you might "make a a difference" in order to live illegally in a foreign country where political activism is strongly discouraged.

Do tell. We can hardly wait

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Excellent Matt, just the comment I've been waiting for. What exactly have you done in the past week/month/year "to change this world for the better"? I ask because like most members here I'm aware that you have abandoned the democratic country of your birth where you might "make a a difference" in order to live illegally in a foreign country where political activism is strongly discouraged.

Do tell. We can hardly wait

Oh, I ain't no Obama or MLK, that's for sure. However, I am a good tech guy. Expect us to be living in a much more sensor driven world in the coming years / decades. The age of initiating a search is coming to an end, and instead the internet / cloud should know us well enough personally to allow for our environment to initiate the conversation with us. This type of technology already exists, and is already in place at warehouses, shipping ports, and so on, but has yet to be brought out to the general public en masse.

Plus lots of other ideas in that realm I have in mind. That's how I will help. On top of that, I have a bit of an advantage on this, because I'm blind now, haha. Having my environment communicate with me like I have in mind isn't only a convienence, but a nessecity.

As for political activism, no thanks. All I can do there is give my viewpoints to those closest to me, with hopes they vote correctly when it comes time for an election. As I've said many times now, this cynicism has to stop as it's permeated the Western world, and is why Trump is currently US President. This starts at the family dinner table, and myself trying to take it any further than that isn't happening.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Admittedly it's high season but it would have cost me 2700GBP for 2px flights out of Vietnam to Glasgow (that's Economy)

London was 1150 GBP

Guess who's getting the train from London to Glasgow

Is that better than a flight to London Sh**hole (Luton) airport & onward train ?

Liked

As far as I'm aware there's no flights from Vietnam to London Luton - but if you tell me there are then I shall probably cry for not looking.

The cost of 2700 GBP to fly SGN-GLA has been replaced with 1150 GBP to fly SGN-LHR and then 160 GBP first class train to Glasgow. Overall it's adding about 3 hours to their journey but that's just tough titty I'm afraid

Liked

Well, I meant take an Easy Jet plane from one of your local airports to Luton, then take the train & underground onwards to Heathrow. I figured it would be quicker.

However, first class on one of beardy Branson's trains would probably be a lot more relaxing, so I see why you are taking that option.

I think there were, in recent years, direct flights to Vietnam from Gatwick a couple of times a week. Am not sure if these still operate & am not sure which end of Vietnam they go to either (so I'm not much use, but I make sure I tick the all London airports box when searching).

Liked

Your correct Goji - Vietnam airways used to fly direct from LGW, but they moved it to LHR.

Used them once - they are very good.

Just to clarify, I'm not travelling to Vietnam, my BF and his dad are coming from Vietnam to visit me - so I'm trying to make it as easy as possible whilst keeping the price realistic. So they'll fly direct into LHR (where I'll meet them), then taxi to Euston, and train to Glasgow

Liked

SG I'm sure they'll love the train ride. The countryside is so different from Vietnam (well, obviously). But the West Coast mainline will show them some lovely scenery.

Out of interest, how long is the journey?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

4hrs 30m Joe.

Sounds a long time but I cant be sure how long to get them through immigration at LHR - and the next practical flight from LHR would have involved a 6hr wait.

This way the three of us (I'm going down the previous afternoon) will be on the move as soon as they clear immigration - taxi from LHR to Euston - and can relax in the First Class lounge there while waiting on train.

Taking everything into consideration there will be very little time difference "door to door"

Plus we'll all get inclusive hot and cold drinks, booze, and food on the train - and have the advantage of being able to get up and walk about during the journey.

I used to fly in/out of London any time I had a meeting there (about 8 times a year minimum) - now I never do, because I simply can't be bothered with all the hassle it involves. Far prefer the train, city centre to city centre.

Liked

That sounds great SG.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Oh, I ain't no Obama or MLK, that's for sure. However, I am a good tech guy. Expect us to be living in a much more sensor driven world in the coming years / decades. The age of initiating a search is coming to an end, and instead the internet / cloud should know us well enough personally to allow for our environment to initiate the conversation with us. This type of technology already exists, and is already in place at warehouses, shipping ports, and so on, but has yet to be brought out to the general public en masse.

Plus lots of other ideas in that realm I have in mind. That's how I will help. On top of that, I have a bit of an advantage on this, because I'm blind now, haha. Having my environment communicate with me like I have in mind isn't only a convienence, but a nessecity.

As for political activism, no thanks. All I can do there is give my viewpoints to those closest to me, with hopes they vote correctly when it comes time for an election. As I've said many times now, this cynicism has to stop as it's permeated the Western world, and is why Trump is currently US President. This starts at the family dinner table, and myself trying to take it any further than that isn't happening.
    A rather lengthy way of saying "Fuck all and I don't care". You've done nothing, you're just a "gonna" - I'm gonna do this, or more accurately, other people are gonna do this. And "I've got some ideas". Wow. In Khon Kaen - or is it Vientiane these days?