To be fair my Bf had to go to Edinburgh for the very same "interview" - and only after going was told by the cheeky cunt who works there ( you didn't even have to come here you know you could have did this in Belfast - after him checking that first and being told by someone else in that office that he couldn't)

And re the Republic of Ireland they have exactly the same immigration rules as the Uk in this regard, so whilst you can get guys into and onto mainland europe you just can't easily get them across onto British or Irish soil thereafter and they are actually upping the random checks at the border now searching for people already living in the South trying to nip cross and do exactly what you suggest.

Accordingly it wouldn't be the first time that I've had to go to Amsterdam to hook up with a few Thai friends for weekends of fun after they've escaped from their sponsors grip for a few nights to go see their "thai friends" in Amsterdam !

Like I say so bloody infuriating when you see who is being let into the County as its always a case of so near but yet still so far !