Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My bf-just found out he is HIV+ and feeling the effects

I was told by the London Clinic I went to that being a bottom without a condom with a known HIV infected person carries a 3 percent risk of the virus passing.
    Is that a typo ... 3 percent? Sounds like an odd statistic, and am curious if it's what you meant to type.

I pay 3000 baht a month for my boyfriend's medications but that's not just the anti-virals. He's had a lot of problems recently finding a combination that he could tolerate and has had to go back on an earlier treatment regime after a very dramatic drop in his blood count ("I down, down" as he says). He has a bronchial infection at the moment along with the retched meningitis which just won't go away and isn't doing too well but is home and looking after himself. He's being tested every two weeks after his recent poor results after an attempt to stretch the gap to six weeks proved to be a bad move.

My boyfriend was very ill before the HIV+ was diagnosed and his health wasn't good anyway so he's not a good example for what someone who is diagnosed early and who is healthy. The outlook for them should be good and I have no complaints over the treatment available in Thailand once you get into the system.

Just to make it clear again my boyfriend is not a good example of what a healthy, early diagnosed person can expect. The outlook for them should be good.

I never had unsafe sex with my boyfriend so although I still had a test I didn't have too much trauma worrying about the result which was negative.

I wish you and your boyfriend the very best of luck for the future.

Liked: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by bkk gwm
    I was told by the London Clinic I went to that being a bottom without a condom with a known HIV infected person carries a 3 percent risk of the virus passing.
    Is that a typo ... 3 percent? Sounds like an odd statistic, and am curious if it's what you meant to type.
    Yes 3% is correct. They also gave me a booklet based on new information collected on the latest study of gay behavior.
    It is now known that the risk factor goes up and down according to the following.

1 72 hours after getting the virus a person is very highly infectious This continues until the person gets antibodies which suppress the virus.

2 At this point a person is very low infectious. ie very difficult to pass on, its all to do with viral load.

3 The person remains low infectious to others until he starts to get sick with symptoms of Aids, when he is highly infectious again.

4 During this period of low infectiousness a person can temporarily become highly infectious if he goes on a drink or drug binge or had the flu or common cold when the immune system is busy handling the drink or drugs or cold etc. ie the viral load goes way up for a while.

Over all they put the chances at about 3 in a hundred. More in the first and third period and less in the middle period I am living proof of this as at a ball park guess I had unprotected sex with my HIV BF 40 to 50 times with him coming in me and vice versa. I tested negative

I quess it seems possible as if you think about the amount of sex going on, the amount of people getting HIV is quite low compared to the huge amount of unprotected sex people seem to be having at the moment. I have learned my lesson and would not risk unprotected sex again with anyone however special he is.
    Don't try to hold in farts - they travel up your spine and into your brain and that is where shitty ideas come from.

Thanks for that clarifying information, allieb. The whole HIV transmission issue is much more complicated than I ever realized.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by allieb
    Quote Originally Posted by bkk gwm
    ....Over all they put the chances at about 3 in a hundred. More in the first and third period and less in the middle period I am living proof of this as at a ball park guess I had unprotected sex with my HIV BF 40 to 50 times with him coming in me and vice versa. I tested negative......
    .....curious why you would take that risk and why not use a condom. You may be one of those few people that has an immunity to the virus.

Liked
    Your out of your mind if you have unprotected receptive anal sex in thailand.That is the easiest way of becoming infected.If your not going to have safe sex then just keep it to oral sex as the risk is much less.Hiv is probably never going to be cured in our lifetime as it becomes part of our own dna and can only be controlled with expensive drugs with terrible side affects.So be careful.