You've all been in pattaya for too long and forget that you don't HAVE to always pay for sex and "sometimes" when guys meet you for a fuck, well, it's because they want to fuck ( a white guy). I was in Cebu in January and don't recall putting my hand in my pocket once from and I can assure you that I was somewhat busy ( 24/7 , so when travelling don't assume that every guy you meet thinks like a Pattaya moneybag as they are a whole breed onto themselves I've found.

Oh and goji re the taxi thing the locals and the lady boy / hookers in Mango Square that I'd intentionally befriended and taken the time to be nice to and speak to in passing every evening and even buying a few a drink ALL advised me to take a taxi from the bars to my hotel, my hotel was literally at 2 or 3 minutes walk away ( St Mark's Hotel BTW which was spot on in case anyone wants a nice, clean modern 3 star hotel close to the bars), but after a the first night I did chose to walk it and all was fine - but of course you only need one incident to ruin your trip so if you're risk averse then Taxis are plentiful and cheap.

I actually walked it back from the Mall one evening during the rain ( about 2 miles ?) and did get one hell of a lot of a "FUCK ME LOOK ITS A WHITE GUY OUT WALKING HERE" type looks, but I genuinely think it's because I was a rarity and everyone gave me a smile ( but again, until just one fucker doesn't some night and then BOOM you're holiday is fucked !) So, if in doubt or maybe a little drink then taxi it for sure to be safe.

Actually on that point I read just last week I think of some Irish guy who was there to get married to a local and who was standing outside at an ATM machine with his Irish best man the night before the wedding and two locals pulled up on a SCOOTER ( Scotty and demanded money, he refused, an agreement ensued and then simply shot him in the stomach and drove on. He survived thankfully but that was just more luck that anything else, but hey I guess that could happen anywhere - but if alone and not confident of your area or the time of day fuck it don't risk it, just crab a cab.