Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Phnom Penh May/June 2017

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: Phnom Penh May/June 2017

A synopsis of my PP visit. I stayed in the King Grand Hotel. This is a nice hotel with friendly staff and mostly boys as waiters. I found them engaging and 2 of them plus a friend came for drinks with me to a riverfront bar. One subsequently came with me to a gay bar the night before my departure -his first time in a gay bar - he is straight but interesting and sociable. Many of the waiters are college students doing a shift of 8 hours either before or after college. Based on what one of them told me, they get $5 a day and are paid monthly. I can totally understand when they say that it is tough going trying to survive on that and the stress of trying to fit in college work. They do appreciate a tip.
    The hotel itself is clean with a good breakfast. There are 2 pools. The sky bar pool is quite small but I preferred it to the one downstairs. The room I had was not very big (as well as the other rooms I saw when doors were open for cleaning). There was no place to put a suitcase except the floor nor were there shelves for clothing. There were 2 hangers for trousers etc in closet. The room is fine for a short stay. The shower was the best of the 3 hotels I stayed in on my trip. There was no issue when I had a visitor to my room. (I always book a double room). There was a fabulous very moderately priced Indian restaurant opposite the hotel and there were always tuk tuks available usually looking for $3 or more for a trip but sometimes excepting 2 for a short trip.
    I was mainly in two bars: Blue Chilli and Space Bar. I found both to be friendly and entertaining. I looked into Popp Bar, but the smoke immediately hit me and I didnt go in although two boys came out to entice me. I heard too late of the newest bar, Toolbox on 174 St. owned by a Canadian, Doug, whom I had met many years ago on another trip and I heard that the bar is well worth a visit.Just sorry that I heard of it too late.
    I concur with other contributors with regard to visiting The Killing Fields and the Genocide museum.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (June 19th, 2017), llz (June 17th, 2017)