Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 217 of 220 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220 LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 2191

Thread: Protests update

Liked

Re: Protests update

Sadly, if you look around the world today, there isn't a whole lot of effort put into "unifying."

The United States has slowly but surely been splintering for at least two decades. Globalization, supply side economics, and income/wealth inequality did not just spring up....decisions made decades ago have brought us to the point we are today. Barack Obama could have been a unifying leader but sadly all the special interests in the United States refused to be led. So now we are facing a choice between Trump and Clinton.

Realistically, someone within the military will have to step up and unify Thailand by slowly implementing democratic reforms. The military has to realize that it is in their long term self interests to do so.

Sadly, very few leaders see "win-win" situations because power distorts perceptions by presenting everything as a "win-lose."

In Thailand you have the admired King of 70 years who made a choice in 1972 and that was the Crown Prince. Then you have the unmarried Crown Princess who technically is a viable option with the change in the constitution in 1974.

Sadly, one choice honors the wishes of the King while the other, honors the respect for the King.

I just wish that the folks with all the power take their responsibility seriously and make decisions today with a realistic vision of the future...

But looking around me I cannot help but realize that does not happen all that often anymore.

Liked

I avoid commenting on this subject in deference to the difficult position that moderators face in the junta's Thailand.

However, I'm not the only falang with a boyfriend in the north who is concerned for his safety in the current climate. Although the military must take responsibility for the terrible events of '76 (and more recently, the massacre of the Red shirts),I'm all too aware that right-wing mercenary groups were deeply involved in the violence. I understand TaoR's concerns but change will only come when the democratic rights of the working classes are restored and I can't see that being allowed to happen.

Liked

The reality is what everyone who cares for Thai's and Thailand want is justice, fairness, equality, and opportunity, for individual Thai's. As Westerners, as Farangs, we naturally assume that democracy automatically achieves all of these goals in a society.

Look around Asia, where are these Democracies? Are there really any?

Take the Philippines as an example as it is a "democracy." I remember very well, all of Marcos' snap elections in the Philippines because I was there. I was on the phone daily with friends and associates when he was toppled.

So, if you look at the data, since 1980 Thailand has prospered and the Philippines has not. I always thought (from first hand knowledge) that the corruption in the Philippines was worse than it was in Thailand and so was the inequality and injustice.

Democracy is by no means and or the only means available to establish a society that is just, fair, and equal.

I realize that my position will not be very popular, but all I can say in my own defense is that we all want the same "ends" we only disagree on the "means."

4. User who gave Like to post:

fountainhall (October 22nd, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by TaoR View Post

Look around Asia, where are these Democracies? Are there really any?
    Japan, India, South Korea.

Liked

New Mandala has recently posted many new articles worth a read.

http://www.newmandala.org

Liked

... Realistically, someone within the military will have to step up and unify Thailand by slowly implementing democratic reforms. The military has to realize that it is in their own long term self interests to do so....
    On the contrary very unrealistic. You are asking the military junta in a country that has had the most coups than any other country in the world to implement democratic reforms. This is like asking the fox to repair the chicken coop.

8. User who gave Like to post:

Khor tose (October 21st, 2016)

Liked

I am thankful that I was able to travel through Asia for over 5 years as a young man. As I would not claim to be an "expert" in Asian religion and or Asian religious practices I will say that I came away with a tremendous respect for and interest in Asian religious practices.
    building a spirit house in the back yard as a sign of your "tremendous respect" for "Asian religious practices" is a bit like building a Bingo Hall to show your "tremendous respect" for "UK Christian religious practices", but you didn't answer my question about the spirit you wanted to invoke seeing as you were not just aping the practice

and what you let your boyfriend stick over the doors doesn't answer whether you seriously believe in animism along with your non-expert dewy-eyed "respect" for the "religion"

and forgive me if I don't agree that animist practices behind a six foot fence are a suitable way to find "comfort and solace" after scanning the news headlines each day regardless of how irrational or illogic they may appear to be!

bkkguy

10. User who gave Like to post:

Khor tose (October 21st, 2016)

Liked

Then nothing will change and only continue to get worse.

Liked

Francois,

Japan is only a democracy because of WWII not exactly an option for Thailand.

India is only a democracy because of England's rule for almost 100 years. Again, not an option for Thailand.

South Korea was governed by Japan and then divided into two regions by the occupying Americans and Russians at the close of WWII again...not an option for Thailand.

In everyone of your examples these countries were not democracies from some internal event but rather through years of Western control.

Banned
    Liked

Democracy is by no means and or the only means available to establish a society that is just, fair, and equal.
    In which other societies can you have an open and frank discussion about "the means to establish a society that is just, fair and equal" than in a democracy? Please name them.