Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genuine advice please.

Liked

Re: Genuine advice please.

Incidentally, you can renew a passport I think as much as 6 months before expiry and still keep the old expiry date.

My last one expired in January, but I got it replaced 5 months early, with the new one valid for 10 years and 5 months.

If you already have the visa, then either getting some kind of written confirmation on the rules from the Thai authorities or moving your flight by 2 days could be options to deal with the problem.

Liked

I've e-mailed the Thai embassy in London. I'll publish their reply if and when it comes.

Liked

Thailand scrapped the 6 month validity rule quite a few years ago, it now just needs to be valid for the duration of your stay and subsequent return flight.

Liked

Sjaak: That's not what it says on the London Embassy website. It says 6 months although I don't know if that is enforced. Well anyway they didn't reply so I'll renew my passport before I go.

Liked

Thai embassies and consulates websites often are hopelessly outdated.

IATA's Timatic (the system most airlines use to determine visa requirements) does no longer mention this requirement (as I stated, it was scrapped by Thailand several years ago).

You seem to imply you have a stamped Thai tourist visa. Do you really believe the embassy or consulate would give you the visa if your passport does not comply with current regulations ?

The only worry is the next destination, if that isn't a country you are a national or resident off, you might get problems IF that country does enforce six months validity.

I know several people who have travelled to Thailand on passports that were much nearer to expiration as yours.

Having said that, I guess peace of mind is king here, so renewing your passport might be the best option.

Liked

Just because people get away with it 9 times out of 10 doesn't help you much if you're the 1 out of 10 who has their holiday trashed by meeting the official who got out of bed the wrong side that morning.

Liked

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I've started the renewal process so I'll see that through. If the Thai Embassy ever do send me a reply then I shall let you know.

8. User who gave Like to post:

cdnmatt (March 3rd, 2016)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Arsenal...

I just went through the process of obtaining my first Non-Immigrant O-A Visa and did this here in the U.S. One of the requirements was of course that I had 6 months validity on my passport when applying, which I did, and the Visa was granted. As far as I know, and I have read all of the Thai Visa policies, there is no requirment that addresses the life of a passport relative to the duration of a persons trip to Thailand. If there was 6 months left on your passport when you applied for the Visa and they granted the Visa, at least according to the policies I've read, you should be OK. Having said that, when dealing with Thais it's always better to aire on the side of caution.

Also, just so you are aware, you can get a new passport at your embassy in Bangkok. The processing time is about two weeks...they allow you to carry your old passport until your new one is granted...it costs $100 U.S...and they give you a form which you then take to a Thai Immigration office in order to salvage your current Visa and have it transferred to the new passport. If by chance you choose this option, go on-line tn make an appointment at your embassy in Bangkok first, as most do not accept walk-ins, and read the requirements.

Good luck