Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TAKE CARE!! fundrasing dinner at Bruno's

Liked

Re: TAKE CARE!! fundrasing dinner at Bruno's

smiles your posting is up to your usual standard. getting stuck into the weed earlier these days?
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Gaybutton makes a valid point. Charitable organizations always raise questions
    but take care is very upfront about the accounting.
    There are so many places for corrupt practices, why harp on the dinner.
    The volunteers spend many hours and days organizing, preparing, and distributing.
    If one less boy or customers get infected, it's all worth it. Lots of STDs besides HIV.
    Everyone is not a thief, some are genuine do gooders. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by catawampuscat
    If one less boy or customers get infected, it's all worth it.
    Really? One less infection is worth all that effort, and damn the transparency? The trend these days is in the opposite direction, with organisations like Charity Navigator scoring a charity's effectiveness based on transparency and cost of overheads as a percentage of gross income etc. These days I don't given to a charity that doesn't perform well on these measures (ie. I don't give to Thai charities) no matter how worthy the cause.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    The trend these days is in the opposite direction, with organisations like Charity Navigator scoring a charity's effectiveness based on transparency and cost of overheads as a percentage of gross income etc. These days I don't given to a charity that doesn't perform well on these measures (ie. I don't give to Thai charities) no matter how worthy the cause.
    I'm not sure I would group a local "grass roots" charity like TAKE CARE!! with the rest of the charities of the world and how they measure up with their front office costs. TAKE CARE!!, is trying to raise money for their cause, simple as that. If you've ever been involved with any charity work, quite often the objective is to raise "x" number of dollars / euros or baht for the event you are planning, through the generosity of local business out there like Bruno's (unless you can think of another way).

I think what else is important to add is that all of this work and all of these causes shine well on the gay community, within the local Thai communities that some of us live (full time or part time) and of course the charities and the people that benefit from our financial support. Of course, if you weren't able to make it, you can still make a donation through TAKE CARE!!'s web site!

http://www.takecarepattaya.com/contact.htm

Surfcrest

Quite right Surfcrest, we shouldn't demand transparency from charities associated with gay causes, particularly in Thailand. As we all know, honesty is an innate property of the gay gene, and if you can't trust a fellow faggot to be honest, who can you trust?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    Quite right Surfcrest, we shouldn't demand transparency from charities associated with gay causes, particularly in Thailand.
    Well, with respect to transparency...that's precisely what Dale has provided in the financial report from the event. I think TAKE CARE!! has always been very transparent with their reporting's and their work over the years not only here, but on the other forums as well. It's pretty clear to me what their objective is in respect to what good they do and I see any interference that TAKE CARE!! can make to the transmission of HIV within our community, especially with the young people as a good thing, whether it's preventing one infection...or more likely many, many over the years.

Surfcrest

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal
    I'm sure they'll give us a full reply and have it confirmed by Takecare. It must have been a good amount because the menu is made up of the cheapest ingredients. Mushrooms, scrag end of lamb and yogurt.
    Arsenal have you ever run or worked in any type of business for more than 5 minutes or were you a government worker of some sort who never had any financial responsibility even for the petty cash tin?
    When restaurants like Bruno's hosts these events he is likely to take into account the lost opportunity cost that the table might have received had the table being occupied by ├а la carte diners. Those diners might have been paying 2000+ baht for a dinner with wine.
    I think if this is so then Bruno's management is far more generous than you could ever imagine yourself to be.
    Being gay can be such a pain in the ass

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by puckered_penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal
    I'm sure they'll give us a full reply and have it confirmed by Takecare. It must have been a good amount because the menu is made up of the cheapest ingredients. Mushrooms, scrag end of lamb and yogurt.
    Arsenal have you ever run or worked in any type of business for more than 5 minutes or were you a government worker of some sort who never had any financial responsibility even for the petty cash tin?
    When restaurants like Bruno's hosts these events he is likely to take into account the lost opportunity cost that the table might have received had the table being occupied by ├а la carte diners. Those diners might have been paying 2000+ baht for a dinner with wine.
    I think if this is so then Bruno's management is far more generous than you could ever imagine yourself to be.

puckered_penguin. I agree 100% with you . As a number of posters have said in PM ,this thread gives a good look at some of our big mouth and frequent posters and they do come out very impressive.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Well, I'm not sure that's the case either LW.

I think we've seen events over the years that weren't managed as well as some of the long term charities that exist today, that have existed for so many years due to the good people behind each of these causes.

I think the important take away out of all of this is that we all have our own things we believe in. Some of us are actively involved in one or more charity whereas many of us here, I'm guessing donate to one cause or another...be it in Thailand or in their home country. Not all of us do and that's okay. Many guys provide some sort of level of support for the people they see over here and that too is direct support. While some may not make enough money to make much of a contribution or have no time left over after making what they need to exist. Que sera!

I really doubt those that can give, don't in some way...despite the skeptics.

Surfcrest

Liked

Puckered_penguin. Once again your modus operandi is clear for all to see. You turn up here occasionally and post something while failing to understand even the simplest of ideas. No one has criticised either Take Care or the restaurant.. Some posters have merely asked about the money and the numbers. Difficult to understand why anyone would have a problem with that unless they have a vested interest.