Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
I'd appreciate advice.
My advice is quite simple. Find another boyfriend - fast.

First, I am unaware that Line ever ran such a contest. Second, does it really make sense to you that Line would run a contest, knowing damned well that the winner would be unlikely to be able to afford to collect the prize? Even if his story turns out to be true, after you part with your 200,000 baht, who pays for the fuel, insurance, licensing, and maintenance? Does your boyfriend even have a driving license?

I wouldn't worry about whether he's stepping into something illegal, but whether you are. I would demand to see the paperwork and I would also contact Line to see if they really did run such a contest and, if they did, the name of the winner.

How was he notified that he is the winner? I don't know about others, but I still get Emails regularly from Dr. Mweleke Mweneke from Nigeria, wanting to put ten-billion dollars into my bank account so he can get the money out of Nigeria. Maybe your boyfriend is actually the one falling for a scam.

If you think his story even has a prayer of being true, I'd do what Smiles says - go with him to pay this tax, and make sure this tax is being paid in a legitimate government office. There is no reason to pay anywhere else. For that much money, I would also hire an attorney to make sure all the paperwork is in order and all the T's are crossed and I's dotted. If he gives you any excuse whatsoever why he can't show you the paperwork, why you can't go with him to pay, or tries to convince you that the money must be paid anywhere other than a legitimate government office, that would be one boy I'd drop quicker than I would drop a hot potato.