Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patong Beach Umbrellas and Chairs

Liked

Patong Beach Umbrellas and Chairs

Believe that the authorities have removed all the chairs and umbrellas off the beach at Patong...does that mean that there is no shade no chairs and we have to sit on the smelly sand on mats! Phuket newspaper is very vague on this matter.. Does any one know if this is true...otherwise will cancel next weeks trip to Patong and go to the Philippines... One can not sit on a beach with out a comfortable chair and shade...seems madness to me.

Liked

Re: Patong Beach Umbrellas and Chairs

From what we can read here and there, all Phuket beaches have been cleared out of umbrellas, chairs, vendors and massage services. However jet ski operators are coming back - just what is needed !

The situation could change, so you should have a look at the latest news on Phuket news websites or the Thaivisa Phuket pages (if you can stand the many expat posters who for some reason are very happy with the clampdown).

If I were you I would cancel any plan to go to Phuket and try something else in Thailand (Pattaya seems to be partly unaffected for the time being) or elsewhere.
    More on my blog at : llz.blogspot.com

Liked

I'm not in Phuket but Bangkok so I can only comment on what I've seen in the press and social media.
    Phuket's beaches are certainly bereft of all chairs, loungers and umbrellas and vendors.
    There was a case a week or two ago where a Scandinavian (I think) family with a baby got into trouble for taking THEIR OWN umbrella to shield the child. This caused quite an uproar internationally that the authorities are now considering ways to allow umbrellas back.
    A friend on holiday from U.K. is staying in Jomtien and the beach concessionaire where he sits says that business is brisk with people coming from Phuket so that they may sit on deckchairs with umbrellas and buy refreshments without having to walk for miles.
    Maybe someone with local knowledge could bring us up to date on the situation.
    P.S. Not sure when you're arriving but there is a huge 2 day firework display/contest this weekend in Pattaya.

Liked

looking at todays news on phuketwan it seems there is no resolution will be in BKK next week and review the situation. Thailands unique beach selling point was the beach chairs and umbrellas much like european beaches , clean and organised. Now this is thrown away, feral dogs roam patong beaches, who wants to sit on dirty sand, and little shade. `Think when the European Hoards arrive late December there will be an uproar.Think its time for change and explore new horizons.

Liked

Navy approves beach umbrellas for Phuket beaches.
    http://phuketgazette.net/phuket-news...618#ad-image-0
    Life is sexually transmitted and terminal.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by rincondog
    Navy approves beach umbrellas for Phuket beaches.
    It's unusual to see a Navy in a role where they micro manage tourism on land.

Liked

They approve beach umbrellas bought by the beachgoers, which is fine for expats who have bought their gear and have a car to bring it.

For the average tourist, who could perhaps not afford a room in a hotel directly on the shore, their will no choice except lying on hot sand directly exposed to the sun rays, or going to another place where common sense has not yet disappeared. I know what my choice will be and I guess many tourists will do the same.
    More on my blog at : llz.blogspot.com

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji
    Once they'll have their submarines, they'll be too busy to micro manage the beaches. Just when that will happen is everyone's guess.
    Yes, grandpa, I know it used to be more fun 30 years ago...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    Quote Originally Posted by goji
    Once they'll have their submarines, they'll be too busy to micro manage the beaches. Just when that will happen is everyone's guess.
    While Bondi Beach lovers will continue to watch out for the dreaded shark fins in the water Phuket beach loungers will look out for the dreaded periscopes lurking off shore.

Liked

I already booked a room at Patong beach one month ago for March
    Is it a temporary restriction ?
    Did the authorities have removed the chairs and umbrellas off from the nearby beaches Kata and Karon too ?
    What is the cost of taxi from Patong beach to Kata and Karon ?

Confused ...