Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
TAT is apparently being inundated with requests from tourists as to whether carrying a copy of 1984 is illegal
Looking at the story in Hong Kong's South China Morning Post rather than the local media, it seems this is not a case of just one random individual being arrested.

Handfuls of anti-coup protesters have staged several silent readings of the book in recent weeks, saying its indictment of totalitarianism has become relevant
http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1 ... ce-bangkok

Apparently all the arrests took place in and around the Paragon Department store. I have been there twice in the last 10 days and seen no army or increased police presence. Same has been true of visits to Terminal 21, and the Sathorn/Silom/Chongnonsi areas. In one thread someone posts about checks at Saladaeng BTS station. Not that I have seen. No checks at any Skytrain stations that I have been to. There are checks at every subway station, but these have been in force for well over a year and are not specifically related to the coup. Little change that I can see in the centre of Bangkok. Thai friends who live in the north of the city and across the river in Nonthaburi also tell me they have not noticed any change. I am off to Isaan tomorrow and will let you know what I see there.