Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Moderators access to PM accounts private content

Liked

Re: Moderators access to PM accounts private content

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothLegs
    admin and moderators (moderators depending on their access level) have only access to the log in details, which are email, username, ip and such.
    The password can NOT be seen, not even an xxxxxx, it is just an empty field.

However they can change the password, which will give them access, since now they can log in as the member they changed the password of.

However, since they never knew the old password, they can not set it back to the original password.

So, if suddenly you can not log in to your account, but are 100% sure the details are correct maybe something fishy happened.

In the forums/boards database where the passwords are stored (as all information), they are encryted.
    SmoothLegs makes a great deal of sense with his post, although I haven't thought of the password vulnerability until he mentioned it. Thank you very much for that, you clearly know what you are talking about.

No, Moderators and Administrators cannot break into your PM box or view your PMтАЩs.

The moderator controls and the administration controls are in two separate areas of the site. Everything I do and everything jinks does is recorded in the moderator logs. I wouldnтАЩt allow jinks to violate your privacy in any way and I would hope that he would stand up and say something to the membership if he ever caught me at it. There is nothing to be gained by us and for the board by breaking anyoneтАЩs trust.

One thing you need to know though, is when your Inbox is full and someone is sending you a PM, it may be rejected and bounce back to us as one of those Mailer Dameon emails. We probably wouldnтАЩt notice it in the amount of spam we are cleaning out on a daily basis, but I have seen at least one. Please make sure you leave room in your Inbox for incoming mail and room in your Sent box for outgoing mail or adjust your settings to delete the oldest mail to allow new to arrive.

Next point is that we do have the ability to empty your Outbox. If, for example you were a member using our PM system to solicit members to a different board, I might empty your Outbox before revoking your PM privileges just to ensure more damage does not occur in the PMтАЩs that were sent, but not read yet. I might also do the same thing if you were a hydra, like CaptnCrunch and canadien. When I do empty your Inbox, those PMтАЩs donтАЩt come back to usтАж.they are deleted with all your PMтАЩs never to be seen again.

I hope this answers the primary question and dispels any subsequent fears someone who knows better, is trying to put in our heads. If you have any concerns with any of this, please let me know.

Surfcrest

Liked

The whole Billy Bunter/Scottish Lad dialogue reminds of that old song
    You put your Outbox in
    You put your Inbox out
    You do the hokey cokey
    And you shake it all about
    "If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Now you were old about it? :sign5: I knew it might take you a few minutes to think what to say. But yes you know mods have access to that same panel as Admin and its because the ***** they cant see the password. You would ask him to stand up and own to it? ukeright:

Liked

Surfcrest,

I have designed many website and a number of boards in my time for many different businesses/people in many different countries.

The only way to know what your moderators have access to, is you as FULL Admin (so you have 100% access to all) can check and test their access in the admin area.

Every single little thing can be set in permission, so the standard 3 moderator "partial access" setups are all different and also all permission can be set per user (moderators are also user).

Do a search for anything you want to know at www.phpbb.com, which this board is based on.
    You can join them and ask questions, which will be answered in detail or be referred to already answered topics.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    Now Surfie don't you wish you deleted me before?
    No, absolutely not.....you provide great entertainment for our members.

Surfcrest
    I have a winner for the "my putting a smile on my face award". Thank you Surfcrest. :love4:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest
    Now Surfie don't you wish you deleted me before?
    No, absolutely not.....you provide great entertainment for our members.

Surfcrest
    I have a winner for the "my putting a smile on my face award". Thank you Surfcrest. :love4:
    I only came back a week or so ago, after a while away, have to agree with the above!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Woooo... Bitchfest TWO!

Not meaning to offend but I reckon you two guys are both arguing over your own stupidity or paranoia to be honest... and both have a habit of flying off the handle without checking details/scenarios first.

I've not had admin access to any board for a few years and never operated one on phpBB but my understanding is that you CAN access a member's account but if you do, they will likely find out because they will find they can't get back into their own account without a password change. So as long as your password hasn't changed, you're fine. If it has, well maybe it's caused by admin accessing your account, or maybe something else.

Scottish... You should know by now that Neal is hopeless with details, accuracy, honesty and consistency. I didn't get to read whatever flap he posted on GBT but I suspect this whole ruckus was caused by him leaving out a critical detail in his claim - the fact that admin can't access your PMs without changing your password (and thereby alerting you).

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if you were taking the opportunity to "re-hang" him anyway.

Now... let's see if Newalaan2's thread can out do Lonely's thread. Bravo Newalaan... Bravo... :ura1:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2
    moderators on SGF can 'break in' to or access PM accounts and read private content is completely false?

I'm hoping and expecting that it is just another bitter outburst from Neal with no foundation. It seems he may be back in his "betrayal of trust" mode.
    I can't prove it but a past owner did in fact break into my PM's by changing the pass word. Unfortunately for him I had an idea that he might just do this so the day before I deleted all my PM's. He was after a PM he had sent to jinks about me and sent it to my account by mistake. When I tried logging in I thought I had been banned because my password would not work. I posted the PM meant for jinks on SGT and it was quickly deleted and set of a discussion about revealing PM's was then started. The then owner has never let anyone reveal PM's on the board except for himself of course. That was the reason I stopped posting on SGT, because I felt I could not trust the then owner. I do not think jinks had anything to do with it or even knew anything about it and trust him 100%..I also think that the current owner is 100% trustworthy.
    [color=#0000BF]why you no risson[/color]

Liked

I got to agree with Surfcrest. Total entertainment from start to finish.

Time to go for a while Neal. Remember..."Always leave them hungry" :argue:

And I am still waiting for my bloody invitation to this new and exclusive members posting club.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Now... let's see if Newalaan2's thread can out do Lonely's thread. Bravo Newalaan... Bravo...
    I assume this is a bit of petty revenge for my questioning that "Beachlover" might not be all he makes out himself out to be on these forums? If so I'm delighted it's getting a "response" out of you...THAT lets me know JUST how 'sensitive' you are to little pokes..............You can never resist a response can you, just can't help yourself......great! Continue BL!......please dont let me stop you from showing even more of your hand.....whoever you REALLY are.

Oh where oh where did my little post go, oh where oh where did it go...? Denial denial denial
    Funnily enough Neal that is the very refrain echoing around these hallowed chambers over the last 2 years or so during your dictatorship, but got significantly louder over the last 12 months. I take it you don't like your little posts disappearing? Oh dear, how annoying that must be for you.

But you do need to take care Neal, despite this miraculous window of improvement in your health where you are managing to race around at least 3 forums we know about with multiple ID's as well as helping start another forum...........krazy4thai angrily scolded us for hounding you because it might impact on your stress levels. He didn't confirm if it was physical or mental health that could be affected, although one would need to be stable in the first place before any claims of mental 'deterioration' could be made.