Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don Mueang to Pattaya - Best transport

Liked

Re: Don Mueang to Pattaya - Best transport

"It's more fun for gay visitors to spend the time in Sunnee Plaza where the boys pour out of the bars onto the street at midnight to join in the celebrations"

Well, then, my NYE plans are set. If you see a drunken farang running around Sunnee Plaza at midnight with a giant butterfly net, just say hello. Thanks for all of the advice.

max

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

I believe that the Bell Travel Service now has three buses a day from Don Muang to Pattaya, if the times suit they could be a cheaper option.

According to their website the price is 350 baht per person. From what i can see their model will involve bringing you from DM to BKK airport, and then on down to Pattaya on their regular BKK to Pattaya service.

Liked

$143 a night for the basic room? Without breakfast? When did this place get so pricey? (Link below if it works)
    I guess because:
    1. You are staying for a weekend and
    2. It is near New Years Eve.

Enter any other dates and the usual prices appear. (2300 Bt).

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by RonanTheBarbarian
    I believe that the Bell Travel Service now has three buses a day from Don Muang to Pattaya, if the times suit they could be a cheaper option.

According to their website the price is 350 baht per person. From what i can see their model will involve bringing you from DM to BKK airport, and then on down to Pattaya on their regular BKK to Pattaya service.
    Thanks for this, Ronan. Here's the relevant link to their page if anyone's interested.

http://www.belltravelservice.com/routes_rates.php#

I'm not sure that it'll do me any good as their last bus from DM leaves at 6.30pm and my flight probably touches down around 6.00pm or occasionally later, so I might still have to either take a taxi directly to Pattya or else spend a night in Bangkok first. For comparison, that would work out to something like -

Taxi from DM airport to Pattaya - 1500 Baht

against

Taxi from airport to Surawongse Road - 300-700 Baht
    One night in a hotel there - 1100-1200 Baht
    Other expenses (e.g. meals, BTS to Ekkamai, etc.) - 200 Baht
    Getting from the bus stop to Sunee Plaza - 200 Baht
    (and this is just a conservative eestimate of expenses not including any fun I might have at Soi Twilight that first night)

I guess the choice is obvious since I'm an el cheapo sex tourist and prefer to get to Pattaya as quickly as I can to party as cheaply as possible before spending a night or two in BKK on my way back and getting my rocks off for a last time (but at a much higher price).

arty
    [color=#800080][i][b]I AM BUTTERFLY![/b][/i][/color]

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc
    I use public busses a lot in Bangkok. But I have come to question if it is worth walking 10 min, then wait 10 min for the bus, and then walk again 10 min to my destination when all can be done in half the time by taxi and will cost just 50 baht more. On the other hand, I will never meet my future boyfriend when I am sitting in a taxi, but I might meet him when I am waiting for the bus or sitting in the bus or walking to or from the bus stop.
    This post caused some bewilderment: http://bangkokbois.wordpress.com/catego ... es/page/3/

Now I have a case to support my claim.

Some time in February I was waiting for bus 29 at the corner Phayathai - Rama 4 road near Sam Yam MRT station late at night. A Thai man (age about 60) approached me and said something like "Hello, you are late today" which gave me the impression that he either knows me or expected me (probably just a trick to get my attention - it worked). After some general chat (good English), he asked how long my cock was and what brand of underwear I am wearing. He even got me to lift my T-Shirt by asking if I was slim and isisting on seeing my body. Finally, the penny dropped and I asked him if he liked men or women. He replied "I like you" and suggested we go to my place for a drink and more. I politely declined and he soon lost interest.

This is my only potential hook-up by using public transport. From this incident and spottings of cute on various trips and my average use of public transport, I calculate a probability of a hook-up while using public transport of once every 230 years.

(subject overlaps with people spotting / hook up on public transport where-are-your-favorite-people-watching-spots-thailand-t28479-15.html)

Back to the original question (in the meantime I had a similar problem: living close to Don Mueang and travelling to Pattya), I can advise which is the cheapest way: take the free transfer bus between Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi (they might ask for a flight ticket) or bus 554 or 555 (about every 10 minutes, they end at the public transport center, not at the passenger terminal) to Suvarnabhumi and then bus 389 (aka "Sex Tourist Express", leaves every full hour, stops at public transport center and passenger terminal) for 134 Baht to Pattaya (various stops along Sukhumvit, last in Jomtien). Travelling time about 1 hour from Don Mueang to Suvarnabhumi and 2 hours from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc
    I have come to question if it is worth walking 10 min, then wait 10 min for the bus, and then walk again 10 min to my destination when all can be done in half the time by taxi and will cost just 50 baht more.
    Yep... That's why I don't catch the bus in Bangkok or anywhere in the world... Just don't have the patience to hang around waiting.

In Bangkok I alternate between taxis and skytrain (unless I'm being driven around by friends/family). I take taxis by default but when it's peak hour and I know the traffic will be dead standstill bad, I take the skytrain.

Liked

Here my detailed description of the probably cheapest way (could save 34 baht by taking free shuttle bus between the airports) to get from Don Mueang to Pattaya:

My optimization of the trip is now complete. There were topics about how to get from Don Mueang to Pattaya, it's almost the same, just add 5 minutes.

Friday 29.03.2013 Bkk to Pty
    walk 15 minutes from my work place to bus stop (opposite Wat Lak Si), wait 10 minutes for bus 554 (Don Muang - Suvarnabhumi, could take bus 555 as well)
    15:00 - 15:54 bus to Suvarnabhumi Transport Center (the bus does not pass Passenger Terminal) 34 Baht
    buy ticket for bus 389 (Suvarnabhumi - Pattaya) 134 Baht, time of departure 16:45 (from Transport Center, 17:00 from Passenger Terminal)
    16:36 - 16:46 from Transport Center to Passenger Terminal (yes, they were indeed leaving earlier then the ticket said)
    16:58 - 19:04 from Passenger Terminal to Jomtien
    walk 5 minutes to Jomtien Complex where my guesthouse is

cost: 168 Baht, duration: approximately 4 hours (1 hour local bus, 2 hours Bkk to Pty, 1 hour walking or waiting).

Sunday 31.03.2013 Pty to Bkk
    14:30 leave Jomtien beach, pick up my luggage in Jomtien Complex (I check out before noon, leave my luggage at the reception, and spend part of the afternoon at the beach, thus maximizing my time in Pattaya without paying for another night), walk to bus stop in Jomtien
    15:00 bus leaves to Bangkok, ticket 134 Baht
    17:29 bus arrives at Passenger Terminal (this is where most passengers get off, only three stay)
    17:36 bus arrives at Transport Center
    17:45 - 18:41 bus 554 (could take bus 555 as well) to IT-square 34 Baht
    walk back home about 20 minutes

cost and duration as above

Thus, my optimization is finished. "price quality time choose two" The only problem that remains is that I will have to wait one hour if bus 389 is fully booked.

If you wonder about the transport center, I had problems finding it on a map, but finally got it, here is the location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=13.71 ... z=19&z=199
    Full topic on http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5567