A short, first-hand anecdotal confirmation of what DaBoss says above.

During my last, two-month stay in Jomtien I got into the habit of visiting the hole-in-the-wall host bar X-men. (Something of a misnomer, perhaps, because you won't find there an abundance of what many on this forum regard as 'men'!) There are few great beauties there, but the boys are cheerful, easy-going and very welcoming. I offed a number of them on a fairly regular basis. The fourth I offed stopped in the middle of serious business and said 'I want you...' - nothing very dramatic, but a positional thing I enjoy and that I imagine not many customers ask for. When I had time to think about it, I realised that number three had put himself in the position two days earlier without being asked. It then dawned on me thatevery boy in the bar knew about it, and everything else about me too, including my tipping habits.

In fact, they seem to have a joint, if unwritten, business plan that goes beyond sharing information. My butterfly habits are well-known - and appreciated, I think, with a mai bpen rai. When I have clearly made my choice the others smile in congratulation and back off; though I suspect there is an underlying message of 'OK, but it's me tomorrow'. There's a joint effort to keep the farang horny and up to the mark. Once, when I was leaving with a boy, another little rascal tapped me on the shoulder and whispered in my ear, 'He want you f... him strong tonight'. Revenge for not getting the job himself, or an investment for the future? I also think the fact that they know all there is that is relevant to know explains why a few boys do not woo me. They know I'm not their cup of tea, or vice-versa.

I have no problem with any of the above or their sharing of information. It seems to make for good service, unproblematical encounters and is all really rather jolly.