Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Checking out St Regis тАУ BangkokтАЩs newest top-tier hotel

Liked

Re: Checking out St Regis тАУ BangkokтАЩs newest top-tier hotel

Sofitel So Bangkok

I took a couple of photos of the new Sofitel So Bangkok the other morning whilst on the way to my Thai school. It is situated at the top of North Sathorn Road (Thanon Sathorn Nua) on the intersection with Rama IV Road (Thanon Pa-Ram-Sii). Just before the Dusit Thani.

As sydneyboy says, the hotel is due to open on 28 February 2012.

W- Bangkok

Another 5-star hotel is being built on Sathorn Road just across from my apartment (See photos below) and is called the W Bangkok. From what I can see it is going to have a very small oval shaped pool and is surrounded by a rather strange structure which I canтАЩt quite make out.

According to their website page the hotel is due to open on 1 October 2012. It also makes some rather bold claims about the sort of clientele they expect to accommodate:

"In the cityтАЩs prestigious Embassy Row and pulsating commercial district is the W Bangkok, a stylish icon of Asian chic. Welcome to the new playground of ambassadors, jet setters and fashionistas, a hot destination by the coolest shopping and dining.

SPICE AND ALL THINGS NICE

Live to tell about the legendary, and simply savory Thai cuisine, chili-hot nightlife and sinfully relaxing spa experience. Indulge in our world-class restaurant, sizzling bar and always vibrant Living Room where you can mix, mingle and play all day.

WAYS TO UNWIND

In our 403 rooms, youтАЩre dreaming sweet in the signature W bed, or lazing in plush bathrobes as you enjoy state-of-the-art entertainment and fully wired technology, the fabulous Munchie Box and our wonderful Whatever/Whenever┬о service."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

Jellybean

Did you look at the pool area at the Sofitel So? If so how does it compare with comparable hotels in Bangkok?

Liked

Hi Sydneyboy

IтАЩll try and have a look at the weekend and pose as a friend of a customer who is thinking of booking a room тАУ IтАЩve done that before - ha, ha, ha! The website says it does not formally open until the 28 February so maybe IтАЩll have to wait until after that date before reporting back.

Liked

Sydneyboy

I was at Thai school again this morning and I thought, since I was in the immediate area, I would check out the Sofitel So Bangkok and see if it was open. Happily it was and a very kind, and handsome, porter showed me around. I was taken to the main reception area, which is on the 9th floor where there is also a cocktail bar. The bar will have a DJ playing every night from 6.00pm until 9.00pm.

At reception I was met by the most outrageously camp (or should I say flamboyant) receptionist тАУ reminded me of the ice cream seller on Dong tan Beach in Jomtien!

The hotel definitely has the тАШwow factorтАЩ. It can be accessed from Rama IV and Sathorn North Road, although if you were arriving from the airport, Rama IV Road would be easiest and most convenient for your taxi driver. I was most impressed and, as you would expect from a brand new hotel, everything is modern, hi-tech, high-spec and very fashionable. I did not enquire about the room rates as you will be able to find that out for yourself from their website.

You asked specifically about the swimming pool, well, in my opinion, it looks fantastic (See photos below). It is an infinity pool on the 10th floor with a fabulous view over Lumphinii Park (suan lumphinii). And, as you can see from the photos, it is very long it and will, I am sure, prove be good for exercise. There is also a well equipped exercise area by the pool.

There is also a solarium for those with a head for heights.

I was also shown the very spacious restaurant on the 7th floor, which was open and had several diners at the time of my visit. The set lunch time menu cost 900 Baht, which I think was reasonable given the star rating of the hotel. I might well try it out next week.

In short then, if I was visiting Bangkok as a tourist and could afford to stay in a 5-star hotel then I would most certainly put this one on my list. Of course, I have not actually stayed in the hotel so my comments are simply based on what I saw as a visitor. But if the standard of service is anything like the other Sofitel hotels then l donтАЩt think I would have any worries on that score. But as they say in Thai, leeo dtee khun (up to you!)

Liked

Thank you Jellybean. You are so kind. This forum at its best!

Liked

JellyBean: a great review. Exactly the way they should be written.

Beach lover: gee you travel light old son. Not a single piece of luggage or clothing or toiletries in any of pics you took.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Screamaloud
    JellyBean: a great review. Exactly the way they should be written.

Beach lover: gee you travel light old son. Not a single piece of luggage or clothing or toiletries in any of pics you took.

LOL im glad i am not the only one that noticed that !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Or in any of the other hotel rooms that a certain person was in --although i do agree with a "certain person " as regards the Kempinski as one of the better hotel brands (if you could call The Ks a hotel brand ) :dontknow:

One might think that it was a little ?? - hmm whats the best word for this " contrived " :laughing3:

yes i think thats the word i was looking for !!

Good nite all :sleepy1:

Liked

The Hansar had a lot of buzz when it first opened as well. I think that's in the neighborhood of the St. Regis, no?

This Sofitel does look pretty nice. Did they show you any rooms or just the public areas?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Screamaloud
    gee you travel light old son. Not a single piece of luggage or clothing or toiletries in any of pics you took.
    I do travel light! But not that light... I tend to snap a few photos while I'm waiting around for the porter to bring my luggage up, hence the lack of personal belongings!

Martin... Would it make you feel better to see a toothbrush in one of the photos?! :rolling:

Quote Originally Posted by fedssocr
    The Hansar had a lot of buzz when it first opened as well. I think that's in the neighborhood of the St. Regis, no?
    I could see the Hansar from my room... Looks good and I keep meaning to stay there.

Liked

fedssocr

Sorry, they did not show me any rooms, but then again I did not ask to see any. In that respect I realise my report is incomplete and, with the benefit of hindsight, I now wish I had asked if it was possible to see one of the rooms because IтАЩm sure it would not have been a problem, they were that helpful. I also wish I had asked a few more questions. I promise to do better on my next assignment. Now I feel like Secret Squirrel eagerly awaiting my next mission!

Below are two more photos I took of the pool which I did not include with my previous post as IтАЩve been having Internet connection problems and thought I was about to lose the whole post.