Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
Ask your BF if the $50/day includes the car and driver too. That amount sounds about right for a guide, driver and car or tuk tuk.

Otherwise, it's way too much!
This was the price but we had to pay extra to Kbal Spean. Spent 3 days doing the ruins and it was most enjoyable. An amazing place. Here is the driver we used:

He did an OK job. He got told off for keeping us waiting one morning for 30 minutes. Turned out he was doing another job... Naughty boy. Anyway the BF knocked him to shape and from then on he was good. You just gotta be firm. Of course this ones not gay but...

We stayed here
$US25 per night.

Got WiFi after we moved on the first night. Breakky was a struggle with umpteem Koreans and Mainlanders but achievable if you ignore them and try to crush one underfoot. :violent1: Then and only then do they get the message.

The staff were great, under the duress of a hopelessly organised outfit. My usual dark imagining is the owner is being driven around somewhere in a mercedes, his pants down in the back seat while gobbed off by some chick bit. Clearly too busy for anything else... But then you get what you pay for... May pen rai.

As far as Phnom Penh we stayed in Eureka Villas $US50 pernight. This is a great spot.

and also over the road in G Eleven by the upstairs pool. Also very good $US36

Thanks to all those who helped with ideas and comments. They made the trip much better. Its the sort of thing would probably not do again but was a fantastic insight into an amazing history.

By the way the Cambodians are absolutely the most polite people I have met anywhere on the planet... Without exception no matter where I was in the temple trek the guys assigned to check your pass were so nice and polite. Not seen it anywhere really with the exception of Japan.

It was so consistent that it was amazing in itself. What a great group. :notworthy: