List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the venue is it still the way forward?

the venue is it still the way forward?

As I have seen the venue show on a regular basis since it opened , is it still working progress? or has it peaked? as i am looking forward to see what i consider the best show in Pattaya on my return in Mid January.

Re: the venue is it still the way forward?

In my honest opinion it gets a tad boring after the first 2 hours.

Well it seemed like 2 hours anyway.

They need to introduce some comedy to break up the interminable prancing around the stage miming to 1950-70s broadway musical numbers.

When I say comedy, I mean something other than a boy in drag with blackened teeth and a balloon up his dress.

:occasion9:

Liked

Was in Pattaya in October and went to venue to see the show. Just my opinion but the show was great 2 years ago, lesser last year and this year walked out after 2 acts. Maybe it was because it was slow season but everything was old and done before. Terrible drag and only a couple cute guys. Torn and tattered costumes. Show is 3'rd rate at best. Drink prices are still very reasonable for a show bar and waiters quite attentive and friendly.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by donald1
    ... Drink prices are still very reasonable for a show bar and waiters quite attentive and friendly.
    Sorry I have to disagree on the attentiveness of the waiters.
    My experience is that they are busy watching the show and not looking out for the customers.

Forum's veteran

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy

When I say comedy, I mean something other than a boy in drag with blackened teeth and a balloon up his dress.

So you will be going to the panto tomorrow 25 Nov ?

I personally think it's the best show in Town....the costumes are great and the tunes are not 50-70's more current. The laddyboys do some great numbers...the Cheer songs are super. The guys are cute and the staff very friendly. Darryl and Ray do a great job with the show....best deal Bravo....

Quote Originally Posted by PattayaBob
    I personally think it's the best show in Town....the costumes are great and the tunes are not 50-70's more current. The laddyboys do some great numbers...the Cheer songs are super. The guys are cute and the staff very friendly. Darryl and Ray do a great job with the show....best deal Bravo....
    That's fine Bob, you like that kind of dated entertainment and I don't - I saw the same and far better at Throb 10-15 years ago and if you're honest you'll agree

You say it's not 1950-70s but the last time I endured the show there were several numbers from "Cabaret" for example and I think there was even something from "West Side Story"

The "comedy" number involved 1 boy, 1 "attractive" boy in drag, and 1 boy in drag with the aforementioned balloon up her skirt and blacked out teeth trying to steal the boy from the "attractive girl" - all of which comprised miming to some scratchy tune to begin with and culminating in screaming, hair-pulling, and general fighting between the two dragsters. Talk about laugh! I almost started.

You say you like the Cher numbers - well remind me how "current" Cher is darling. All her best hits were 30 years ago (and more, some might say)

Now I'm not saying the performers don't work hard, they do.
    I'm not saying they are not talented - some are (one waiter even sings - yes, for real!)
    What I am saying is that show is dated and reflects the dated tastes of the people putting it together rather than anything current.
    Ditch the broadway musical numbers - far too dated.
    Bring in some up-to-date music (the boys know the songs you know - they don't sit in their rooms listening to Liza Minelli and Ethel Merman, darling).
    And either hire somebody with a sense of humour to inject some life into the show - or rip off something funny from elsewhere!

Now as for the attentive waiters - don't make me laugh - during the show you almost have to drop your trousers and fire a pistol to get noticed.
    Without a word of a lie, the last time we were there (6 of us) the guy who sits at the side of the stage working the Audio had to leave his mixing desk- after watching us trying to attract the waiters attention for over 10 minutes - and go fetch a waiter to serve us.

Let's be honest - if it were not for the over 60's in the "audience" the bar would be deserted and they will get more fun watching the performers doing something current that they clearly enjoy than in watching them flog a dead horse for 2 hours. Example - the street dancers in Happy Place - I'd far rather watch their set for 20 minutes - exciting, current, and fresh - than sit through 20 minutes of prolonged agony watching people mime to tunes from "Phantom of the Opera".

Just my opinion.

Forum's veteran

Let's be honest - if it were not for the over 60's in the "audience" the bar would be deserted
    Maybe, just maybe, this is why the shows are targeted at us, the over 60's.

DaHrling

I don't have trouble getting a waiter, I tip and they know it.

See you front row, Sunday 18th, for a few drinks before my demise on Thursday?

Quote Originally Posted by jinks

Let's be honest - if it were not for the over 60's in the "audience" the bar would be deserted

DaHrling

Darling,

Just because one might be over 60 does not mean one wants to live in a time-warp!

I am hardly a spring chicken myself, but my Abba, Leo Sayer, and Bay City Rollers records are now firmly at the back of the cupboard - and, needless to say, the Gary Glitter ones can only ever be brought out in private these days.

Are you honestly saying you would not enjoy seeing some shirtless street dancers cavorting about the stage, obviously having fun - rather than somebody miming to " I Am What I Am" for the millionth time?

Are you honestly saying that it would be purgatory to watch some current boy bands being impersonated - such as The Wanted or One Direction - rather than sit through someone in drag with a Liza Minnelli wig on lipsynching to "Money Makes the World Go Around"? yet again!

Is it not possible to have a mixture of entertainment current and retro, rather than 2hrs of tired, dated, material?

I refuse to enter this "my tip is bigger than yours" contest (did that at school, darling - never won :crybaby: ) - just let me assure you that I am not slow in dipping into my sporran for a few bawbees when it's merited (and usually even when it's not!).
    The problem is, as another poster suggested, that during the show the waiters are paying as much attention to that, as to the customers.
    When you think about it, the suggestion that one's face needs to be well known (not to mention well-worn, darling) to get some kind of service, really isn't a recommendation.

Finally, whilst I would love to join you for drinkettes on Sunday, I am not in Thailand at the moment.
    However, if a man of your means would care to send a flight ticket (economy would do at a push), I shall fly over for the occasion and I'll even wear whichever of my disguises you choose.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by jinks

DaHrling

Well its not just the elderly like jinks that likes the Venue shows !!

I met couple of cute young (30s) guys from Holland on the beach 2 days ago --they are here in Pattaya 2.5 weeks now and have spent most nites at the venue (1 nite @Nab, 2 @ Dave )
    And were Raving about it !!!!!!--

I like the show at the venue ,but i dont go much -mabye once/twice in 6 months so i guess it does not get stale for me

I do hope they bring back the couple from Bkk --that sang so beautifuly - with numbers from Andrea Bocelli / Cats / Phantom etc --i dont recall their names ,but they put the hairs standing on the back of my neck when they started singing the night i was there -- mabye 10 months or so ago -

Can anybody enlighten me as to their names and if they are due to play at the venue (or elsewhere ) again
    Failing that i will ask Ray next time il drop in --