List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice from BKK experts on this Hotel...

Liked

Re: Need Advice from BKK experts on this Hotel...

Thanks for the help. Too many choices now!

Will look at The Tarntawan (not on the Agoda website though)

The Rose
    The Glow Trinity
    The Heritage.

Of course all look great on the websites. I love the Atlanta Hotel! A bastion of Wholesomeness! That's for me.

max

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goteed1
    Being close to nightlife is important. Breakfast at the hotel is kind of important. (After late nights, don't want to have to go hunting for food in the morning) Will be doing all the touristy things during the day. Don't mind walking to see the sites at all, Will be a 6 day visit, going by myself. (Will be doing 3 days in another city yet to be determined). Want to stay around the $100 mark or under. A gym is a "nice to have" as well.
    Goteed1... If you want something nicer, you can often get 5-star hotels like the Dusit Thani Bangkok, Sofitel SIlom and Le Meridien Silom for under or around USD/AUD$100 depending on the time of the year. Dusit Thani is the best located (overlooks the park, next to skytrain station and across the road from gay nightclubs).

If I were you, I would actually book much closer to date - say two months in advance at most - as you may get better rates then.

I don't know how consistent this trend is (maybe someone else can confirm/dispute) but I've noticed the hotels in this area have a tendency to panic and start offering their discounted rates around two months in advance. They would like to charge more but they have a lot of rooms and usually not enough guests to fill them. When they realise they're about to have lots of empty rooms, they start offering discounts...

Advance purchase discount rates are usually 14-days so if you want the best rate, don't leave it any later than 14 days before your check date to book.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Gotted1, I think Beachy is correct and closer to the time you are traveling is the time to find the best deals. As is said, start looking for your August booking at the end of June. The property managers (whomever you choose) will have seen that that their bookings are marginal and start unloading rooms at cheaper rates about 6-7 weeks before hand.

As I have said previously though, you certainly don't need to pay that sort of money for perfectly acceptable accommodation but Beachlover likes his comfort and can afford the higher end. Good luck to you if you are in that bracket also.

Do not book on the hotel websites as you will pay more. Try and book through Agoda or such like. You will find much better deals there.

Cheers and let us know how you get on after you've found something.

Cheers
    Krobbie

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by krobbie
    Do not book on the hotel websites as you will pay more. Try and book through Agoda or such like. You will find much better deals there...
    I used to think this was true but have found it's not a reliable rule of thumb. It varies from place to place and in many cases if you do a simple rate check on the hotel's website, the best price they offer will match whatever Agoda's offering.

If Agoda and the hotel offer the same rate, I prefer to book direct with the hotel as if anything happens - e.g. you need to make changes, request a refund or something goes wrong - I think it'll be much easier sorted without a middleman. It's also easier to get the hotel to throw in stuff like breakfast or free internet this way.

In any case, I've found Agoda is a great benchmark and the quickest way to do a quick rate comparison on most places.

Quote Originally Posted by krobbie
    you certainly don't need to pay that sort of money for perfectly acceptable accommodation
    Totally agree... Plenty of good quality accommodation for under 2,000 baht in Bangkok if you want to save some.

I don't know if it's available worldwide but you can save considerable sums by booking via a cashback site. There are many of these in the UK. Google "cashback"

Basically these sites rebate you with much or all of the commission they earn from the provider - eg you can save 5% on Hilton or Holiday Inn, and up to 14-16% from Accor hotels or Alpharooms depending on the brand etc.
    You pay no more than booking from the provider's website directly (I've checked) and you get the rebate (in some cases you have to wait until you amass ┬г50 or so before you can request a cheque)

If you are in the UK then look on moneysavingexpert where they review the various cashback sites, with the pros and cons of each.

If these sites are available in your country it's well worth looking into.

:occasion9:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Interesting... I've seen the cashback concept working in financial services/insurance but not with travel/accommodation products before.

I noticed this site: http://www.moneybackco.com.au/merchants/Hotels-com

On a different note, Jetabroad (Australia http://www.jetabroad.com.au and UK http://www.jetabroad.co.uk) often have these PayPal promotions where if you pay for your flights using PayPal (can be pretty much like using your credit card), they give you $25, $50 or $100 in cash back. I've gotten this a couple of times. It's awesome!

Liked

If you want something newly renovated, around 4* hotel, I think you can try this new hotel:

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-717 ... ndex.shtml

There is also a smaller hotel, de Arni just opposite Glitz hotel, which is just next to Tawan bar. Both hotels are along Suriwong.

A bit old charm, and most people had no issues with joiners, but some had if you encounter a newbie security guard at the Tawana hotel.

If you check there are some promotions on for the Accor hotels in bangkok - not exactly US$50 (closer to US$100), but Pay 3 for 2 nights, splurge on the Novotel or the Sofitel Silom.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiFan
    There is also a smaller hotel, de Arni just opposite Glitz hotel, which is just next to Tawan bar. Both hotels are along Suriwong.
    The de Arni is nice, but it's across from the Siam Heritage (I watched folks at the SH giving food to the monks while having breakfast). Tawan's only a short walk from there, though.
    http://khunbaobao.blogspot.com/2011/...rni-hotel.html

They run specials on their site, but also play with Agoda.com
    http://www.dearnihotelbangkok.com/index.php

Liked

Do not book on the hotel websites as you will pay more. Try and book through Agoda or such like. You will find much better deals there.
    I was at the Rose Hotel a few weeks ago. I had booked on the net, as I always do. One of the ladies at the reception suggested I phone the hotel direct to get a much better price. I'll be heading back there soon so will see how the price compares with Agoda.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by a447
    I was at the Rose Hotel a few weeks ago. I had booked on the net, as I always do. One of the ladies at the reception suggested I phone the hotel direct to get a much better price. I'll be heading back there soon so will see how the price compares with Agoda.
    Thanks for that. Let us know how you get on and I won't be so quick to spout off if indeed you get a better deal by just ringing. I have stayed at The Rose a few times myself but never thought of giving them a call first. How sensible.

Cheers
    Krobbie