Irish are thick
    Scots are mean
    Austrians are condescending
    French are aloof
    Russians are criminals
    Australians are drunks
    Spaniards are greasy
    etc

Why is it that Italians are great lovers?

Infact, travelling to various countries I have found that most people are just doownright 'nice' an awful word but apt. Pleasant company, welcoming, friendly and easy to chat with as long as you avoid subjects like politics, religion, sexuality and economics.

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked
    Well the 60,000 - 70,000 young Chinese (most from the mainland) that are in private English Language Schools here in New Zealand at any one time are taught British English. There are also quite a few from Korea, Taiwan, Japan and Latin America. Most of them are sufficiently educated to be aware of the difference between American English and British English (which by the way they do see as very small). Of the ones I've engaged in intercourse, many chose to come here to learn British English. They see that as native or 'correct' English and having higher status than American English. Plus too they realise that if they learn British English they'll also understand American English with no problems. Of course living in this part of the world they'll also learn Kiwi English, which is very similar to Aussie English but there are differences. So does one English really dominate the world? I would say not. I think it really depends on where you live. That determines more than anything else which Englsih is spoken.

I know from comments my Japanese friends and lovers have told me over the years is that the upper-class and aristocrats of Japan speak only British English, and they try to do so with an upper class English accent. Separates them out from the ordinary chattering classes. How very Japanese. How very Englsih.
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

That for bizarre historical reasons, Argenina looks to Europe, not the USA.
    Perhaps zis ist bekause zo many Europeans had to fled to ze Argentine to escape ze Amerikan oppressors in 1945,

Liked

Tipping, schmipping . . .

I think it was some fat bald old guy who wryly observed recently that any thread which goes beyond 3 pages inevitably morphs itself into a stream of thought so far away from the original topic that it becomes completely unrecognizable.

Boy, this thread (now 5 pages long in my settings) confirms the his observations without question (he's my HERO!) . . . rolling inexorably down Boredom Hill.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

So people who want snob appeal learn British English. The masses are happy with American English.

Merrily we roll along...The Endless Conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    I think it was some fat bald old guy who wryly observed recently that any thread which goes beyond 3 pages inevitably morphs itself into a stream of thought so far away from the original topic that it becomes completely unrecognizable.
    Boy, this thread (now 5 pages long in my settings) confirms the his observations without question (he's my HERO!) . . . rolling inexorably down Boredom Hill.
    Dear Smiles;
    Even though it ran off the rails on the first page; please don't take your little gun--And shoot this thread!
    I love it so!

Quick count; (Sorry, I may have missed a few. Hate to leave anyone out.) it went from Tipping to:
    Trolls
    (back to) Tipping (Isn't Troll-tipping a favorite sport in Bavaria?)
    & on...and on...and on...through:
    American (Bashing)
    Argentina
    Arizona
    Australia\Australian\Australians
    Baseball
    Bigotry (On this board.)
    Chinese
    Disney World - Japan
    Doormen
    English Language(s)
    Europe
    Fat, Bald Old C...s, Men, etc.
    Fotbol\Football
    Japan
    Massage
    Movies: Other than Hollywood
    Movies: Hollywood
    Nazis
    Neddies Nook
    New Zealand
    Petrol\Gasoline
    Polo
    Posting Quotes
    Snob Appeal
    (Certainly none here.)
    Spelling\Spelling variations
    Stereotypes
    Television\Nancy Grace
    (Who the hell's he?...)
    Thailand (Thailand!...How the hell did that happen?!)
    (The) Rich
    (The) Poor
    Vulgar Americans vs. Vulgar Brits--I think the Brits win the 'Miss Most Vulgar' crown, bad teeth and all.

And it's still ticking!
    Can't we pick up the thread that started with a rash, went through all the STD's in the world--And some from outer space--(Including cod-rot.) and, as of last time I checked, was on circumcision--And dump it in here too?
    If not; lets talk about how much to tip the boys! Oops!...That's back on the original topic: Tipping...Can't have that!
    So let's swap recipies!...

Snob Appeal

I remember in the late eighties, I made the mistake of getting on the Marunochi line in the middle of rush hour. I happened to notice that the silver-haired sarrariman pressed up against me was wearing an "Old Etonian" tie.

"I see you schooled at Eton" quoth I.

"No. Fashion" quoth he.

Looking around there was a fair smattering of Wykhamists and Harrovians.

Charlatan's and liars all of them! But polite charlatans and liars.

No wonder they need to learn the Queen's Ingrish.

anno.... ssssss

Liked

Ya'll are guilty

I have my opinion of a troll

Those who hijack threads and those who continue with the hijacked thread.

If you excuse your behavior before the hijack, perhaps you would be forgiven.

Otherwise you are guilty.

Tips are a personal thing. But personally I dislike the tourists who have money to throw around because it makes the rest of us look like cheap charlies.

And as someone else mentioned, when you are giving 100 baht notes to everyone you contact, some Thais think you are showing off the fact that you have lots of money even though they wai you and thank you for the 100 baht note.

Nevertheless, Tip what you feel is fair, after all it is your money.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana