Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macau/Zhuhai

Liked

Macau/Zhuhai

I accepted a job offer working in Zhuahi China, which is just across the border from Macau.
    I have been on the internet checking out gay life in the area (it is about a 45 minute ferry ride to hong kong which may be a bit far for anything but weekend trips). It does not look like there is much going on in Macau or Zhuhai.....

Has anyone on this board been to Zhuhai and if so what is there to do? What is the nightlife like?
    How about Macau? Any thoughts or experiences?
    Comments would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Liked

Re: Macau/Zhuhai

Quote Originally Posted by kittyboy
    I accepted a job offer working in Zhuahi China, which is just across the border from Macau.
    I have been on the internet checking out gay life in the area (it is about a 45 minute ferry ride to hong kong which may be a bit far for anything but weekend trips). It does not look like there is much going on in Macau or Zhuhai.....

Has anyone on this board been to Zhuhai and if so what is there to do? What is the nightlife like?
    How about Macau? Any thoughts or experiences?
    Comments would be appreciated.
    Yes. I've been to Zhuhai with my mum, dad and boyfriend. It was in the 1980s. You could walk through the gate from Macua in those days.

Gay life? It'd have to have changed one helluva lot. That goes for Macau too, though some friends used to completely book out a 24 room hotel on Coloanne back then for a gay weekend. They're mostly spending the typhoon season in the home counties these days.

Escaping to HK or BKK won't be overly expnsive by hydrofoil or AirAsia

No, I'm sure China has not changed much in 25 years. LOL.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Bunny
    No, I'm sure China has not changed much in 25 years. LOL.
    Zhuhai was established as an SEZ in 1980 and this in fact helped facilitate our visit in the 1980s. I rather think that young itinerant workers migrating to the SEZs are looking for factories rather than discos. I doubt that much has changed except in the number of factories. My friends in Tung Chung, Lantau, tell me that the pollution in the mouth of the Pearl River is pretty bad.

Liked

Yes. I've been to Zhuhai with my mum, dad and boyfriend. It was in the 1980s. You could walk through the gate from Macua in those days.

Gay life? It'd have to have changed one helluva lot. That goes for Macau too, though some friends used to completely book out a 24 room hotel on Coloanne back then for a gay weekend. They're mostly spending the typhoon season in the home counties these days.

Escaping to HK or BKK won't be overly expnsive by hydrofoil or AirAsia[/quote]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for the note.

From what I can tell through internet searches...it looks pretty dim as far as gay life goes.
    Macau seems to have a more open gay population so I may end up going there for whatever nightlife exists in the area.
    I guess I will have to go to hongkong to hang out with my out and open homo-ies.
    Another university in the Zhuhai area just authorized a gay and lesbian on campus student group..maybe I can volunteer to be their faculty advisor....Hmmm...probably not a good idea...but the thought is appealing..all those cute chinese guys wanting to pollish up their english and possibly their english tutor...god I love having a fantasy life.

With 60 plus million people living in the pearl river delta area there has to be a quite a few gays and lesbians.. presumably living on the down low. I will have to stay away from students and find me a chinese DL.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kittyboy
    With 60 plus million people living in the pearl river delta area there has to be a quite a few gays and lesbians.. presumably living on the down low. I will have to stay away from students and find me a chinese DL.
    It's a big area with three international airports but the river makes it difficult rather than easy to get around. There are gay nests around the Chek Lap Kok area but I guess these airline stewards investing in apartments shoot down to Central on the MTR for a night out.

I was once shown a volume in Chinese on "public facility" archictecture with examples from all over China. The gentleman who owned it, claimed that the facilities that were shown in the photographic plates were well-known "tea rooms" and it was a sort of unofficial guide. Nothing worth knowing is ever stated explicitly in China. Good luck.

Guangzhou is a couple of hours away too, there are quite a few gay establishments there, and it'd be a great choice for a weekend break.

Guangzhou was the very first place I ever visited in Asia, and remains a firm favourite - there is so much chaos and excitement there. Although it is such a huge place you can go for days without seeing another white face, so you will get alot of attention from some of the local guys. I actually met a gorgeous young guy from Niger (in Yuexiu Park) when I was in Guangzhou, who stayed with me for the rest of my stay. The pure bewilderment of the hotel staff was priceless - they are probably still gossiping about us today (probably had the whole building exorcised too!) :clown: .

Liked

Oh my do be careful, please not to spread the gospel there or for sure they will lock you up. I am not sure about being gay... ha ha have a good time and make a lot of money while you are there, send it back to the USA we need it. you do know I am jokign I hope, you know the bunny wabbbit can't take a joke.

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    Oh my do be careful, please not to spread the gospel there or for sure they will lock you up. I am not sure about being gay... ha ha have a good time and make a lot of money while you are there, send it back to the USA we need it. you do know I am jokign I hope, you know the bunny wabbbit can't take a joke.

Wes
    Being gay is OK with the Central Authorities of the People's Republic. Spreading wicked and insidious superstitions such as found in the book you mention is, quite rightly, a very serious offence.

Liked

Just find one of those Shanghai style bathhouse/massage places, and you'll be fine.