Every year that I am in Thailand I try to plan being in Bangkok for the weekend. Mainly this is to take advantage of Chatuchak Market or the weekend market. IтАЩm not sure what the actual schedule of the market is other than its Saturday / Sunday only with most stalls open by 10am and many starting to close down around 6pm. Both the Skytrain BTS and Subway MRT run to the market area, but only the Subway will get you right inside the park. There is a stop on the MRT called Chatuchak Park, but confusing, as it may be this isnтАЩt the stop that gets you right into the market. Kamphaeng Phet Station not only puts you into the market but at a good starting location for the many different sections.

Quite often there are people at many of the entrances handing out maps that show you the different sections colourized where vendors selling this type or that type of commodity are located. ItтАЩs a good idea to get one of these maps, even if you have been here before. If you see something of interest that you are thinking about coming back for later you should probably make a note of where the stall is. Finding things the second time is extremely difficult unless you really know the market well. IтАЩve heard it said, тАЬIf it isnтАЩt at Chatuchak it probably doesnтАЩt existтАЭ. The area with the stalls selling animals and creatures of all types can be a little overwhelming. With the heat, the smells, the floor wet with urine and limbless beggars dragging themselves around it may not be for everybody.

Many of the stalls are associated with stores around the city, extending their marketing to Chatuchak on Saturday and Sunday. IтАЩve found that many are based in the sprawl of shops around Baiyoke I and II Towers. ItтАЩs easy and affordable to get to this area on the BTS by getting off at Phayathai Station. After coming down to street level from the skytrain, take a cab / bike / tuk-tuk south down Phayathai Rd towards Baiyoke. The street stalls shops begin as you get close to Petchburi Rd continuing by the towers to Ratchaprasang Rd. Both Baiyoke Towers as well as many of the other buildings in the area house thousands of shops selling much of the same stuff you will find both at Chatuchak and in the Patpong. The convenience is that they are open in the daytime and not only on the weekend. One mistake that many people make is to buy new suitcases at Chatuchak. Lugging these big things down the narrow aisles at Chatuchak can be very impractical. Buying them in the Baiyoke area can be cheaper and very convenient for catching a cab back to where you need to go.
Many of the prices in this area are marked, yet bargaining is still possible occasionally. I generally find things are cheaper here than they are at either Chatuchak or the Patpong.

There are quite a few other markets around the city selling this or that. IтАЩve noticed that on MondayтАЩs many if not most of the stalls are closed. Last night on Silom, the police were out in force harassing the stalls about something. Many opened late and some failed to open at all. Simom and the Patpong of course are famous for knock-offs and souvenirs for tourists.

Surfcrest