Quote Originally Posted by gwm4asian
Consider the following facts.

The news was broken by a relativley newbie poster with an interesting history of previous posts.

The poster 'Sathorn' who first posted the news that Homintern had died is indeed a 'new' member, as well as one who has posted only a few messages. That is hardly indicative of anything 'interesting' ... on the contrary, it's often a common characteristic for newbies on an edgy & argumentative Board such as Sawatdee.

The very fact that he's 'new' makes me think he's just a board reader (of which Sawatdee has many) who knew Homintern very well in life-outside-this-Board and decided to announce the death of his friend whom he knew to be so prolific on the Board. In other words, he "thought we'd like to know".

The news contained what purported to be his real name.

'Sathorn' referred to Homintern's real name as 'Stephen'. That is exactly as I knew him. Homintern and I have a long and rich PM'ing history on Sawatdee ... and in each PM he signed off not as 'Homintern', but as 'Stephen' (but no last name). A coincidence? Doubtful.

The British Embassy have no knowledge of anyone of that name dying in Thailand within the timescales.

The Embassy would probably not have knowledge of a citizen's death until it was actually reported. We have no idea of where, when, or under what circumstances (besides the cause being 'heart attack') of time, company, travel etc etc.
Has anyone checked over the last day or so? Will anyone check tomorrow, or the next day, or the next?

The original poster has not commented further despite requests to do so.

'Sathorn' seems as reclusive on the Board as Homintern was omnipresent. He posted his news and then decided to say nothing ... especially with some of the more nasty posts happening on the now-locked thread (e.g. this piece of excrement from 'Aunty': " ... If true, good riddance to bad rubbish) ...".
Perhaps he has the same impish predilection that Homintern had .... lord knows most guys who relish that kind of behavior tend to stick together.

No-one else has confirmed the news.

Perhaps no one else he hung out with were members or readers of Sawatdee, or any of the gay boards. Perhaps Homintern was in the closet. Perhaps he wasn't gay.
The fact that no one has 'confirmed' a death of a friend by posting a message on a gay Thailand Board seems to me entirely meaningless, and tells us precisely nothing.

As I mentioned above, Homintern (Stephen) and I PM'ed each other all the time, over many years, about the wonderfull weirdnesses of this Board ~ especially regarding the Hydra Head bullshit of a few years ago.
But I could not get the man to express any interest whatsoever in getting together over a beer or lunch whenever I happened to be in Bangkok. It was not for lack of trying ... I had made the offer at least a half dozen times over the years (I gave up and stopped trying about a year ago). This leads me to believe that in fact there is a very reasonable chance he actually knows no one on this Board in person. That was his choice, and in fact that is the (unfortunate, it turns out) dynamic which has caused the 'questionings' as the the truth of it which have been generated by Sathorn's original post

So, was he out of the country? Is it all a hoax or a wind up? WIll we ever know?
Cheers ...