"The Songkran road death toll climbed to 254 on Wednesday, the sixth day of the long holiday danger period, with 3,038 injured, the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said yesterday. The counting began on April 7, the first of the ''10 dangerous days'', and will continue until April 16.

There were 2,722 accidents reported over the six-day period. On Wednesday, 694 accidents were reported with 60 people killed and 764 injured. The total death toll (254) was lower than in the same period last year (323).

Nakhon Ratchasima again recorded the highest number of deaths, with 15 people killed, and Chiang Rai saw the greatest number of injuries, at 119. Other provinces with high death tolls were Chiang Mai and Rayong (nine each), Phitsanulok (eight), and Chon Buri (seven). No deaths have been reported yet in eight provinces _Trat, Nakhon Nayok, Mukdahan, Pattani, Phrae, Ranong, Samut Songkhram and Amnat Charoen.

Risky behaviour was blamed for most accidents _ drunk driving (37.32%), speeding (15.99%), and cutting in front of other vehicles (9.51%). Most of the accidents (62.52%) occurred on straight roads out of highways, including village and municipal roads. Peak accident hours were between 4 and 8 pm, according to the department. Of the 4,184,693 vehicles stopped for inspections over the past six days, 181,925 were found to be violating traffic laws.

Caretaker Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana said he had ordered all provincial governors to keep a close watch on motorists between yesterday and tomorrow, the most dangerous days of the holiday period, as a large number of people are expected to depart on journeys home"

Bangkok Post

It is good to see the numbers of fatalities falling. I have been reading up a bit and Thailand publishes a total number of road deaths a year as 14,500 (2003) but does not include those who die subsequently in hospital. The estimated true total is over 20,000 which is shocking. The UK has a similar population and land area but only has 3221 (2004) fatalities a year. The is pretty static over 10 years but falling very slowly.

Even at 14,500 that's an average of 40 a day or 240 in the 6 days of Songkran counted. Songkran "dangerous days" don't seem much more dangerous than everyday.

People still ask me why I don't own a car in Thailand.

apologies to homintern who posted, brief, similar material as I was posting this message.