I am writing this post partially in response to those (such as Thaksin) who think that collectivization in Thailand will cure everything.

But corruption is an issue which will not go away. It's one of the main reasons foreign investors avoid certain countries. (Will they get their money back? etc.)

I recently had an experience with the Thai police. Actually, it was my boyf Aod, who was visiting home in the far north and decided to do something nice for his Younger Brother, who has recently (and belatedly) begun studying the 7th grade in Chiang Rai, and who decided to ordain as a novice monk in order to avoid much of the hassle coming from boarding schools.

So, Aod took his younger brother to Mae Sai, and then into Burma, and they had fun exploring. They came back into Thailand, and were driving home in Aod's Honda Jazz when they were stopped at an inspection point.

The policeman running the show charged Aod with "aiding the immigration of aliens!" The charge was totally absurd, as both Aod and his brother were born in Thailand, and are Thai citizens. But the cop pretended to be outraged that younger brother's ID card had been altered with Liquid Paper. (Actually, the abbot at the monastery did that.)

Frantic and furious phone calls followed. The village headman weighed in, to no avail. My former boyfriend weighed in, and demanded to know the cop's name -- the request was refused.

Aod and his younger brother spent almost the entire day at that police checkpoint.

Why?

My former boyfriend explained it as follows: "The cop is totally corrupt, and looking to shake down innocent citizens. He spots these two BOYS without an adult companion, and sniffs good takings. Especially because they are driving a CAR -- they are RICH hill-tribe boys." So he busts them on the flimiest excuse imaginable -- and has them sit in his boiling-hot waiting-room all day.

Price of exit: 5000 baht. And the policeman is still nameless, and seeking revenge is futile.

Now, there is a TRUE story for you!