I have been a staunch supporter of the Malaysia Hotel over the past 6 years, staying there on 19 separate occasions, usually for a 10 day duration. Sure it had its faults [occasional lumpy beds, pillows that should have been retired years ago, position just a little too far away unless you are a Babylon freak, etc. but for Bht 700 or thereabouts the plusses [large bedroom with two beds, one double, one single, TV Refrigerator, swimming pool, reasonable restaurant, zero problem with visiting friends, etc] far outweighed them.

I have always booked by email many months in advance as the Malaysia is always full. However since the new airport opened it now takes longer to get processed at both immigration and waiting for luggage, so I get to the hotel [from regular daily Thai flight from Bali] around 9.15.p.m., instead of 8.30 from Don Muang. Last two visits they had not bothered to hold my reservation, and furthermore that little ever-smiling arrogant bald-headed creep who has worked at reception for ever [like all of them] could not give a stuff! I fully realise that Thais only ever smile, would never actually apologise for anything [never wrong so why], just grin and do nothing, but he is the most infuriating excuse-for-a-man I have met in Thailand.

At most any other hotel in the world, even a budget one, a guest who had stayed 19 times [190 days] over past 6 years would actually be greeted with respect. they may even bend the rules for you!

Maybe I will try Jimmy's Pinnacle next time, although it seems that he does not like answering emails [already 3 weeks and no answer]. Rooms are much smaller and very overdue for renovation, but the position is just that bit better only 400 metres from the station and the sauna on the roof did look quite interesting [the 'straight' ones are usually the best as I found out at The Rose over Christmas [my replacement hotel] with a couple of visiting Japanese boys, but their new tariff at The Rose of Baht 1,700 is just not worth it].