Good luck to the new owners of the old My Life Bar to be re-named Oscars.

David, the friendly and bubbly former owner of Le Cage (with Daniel) deserves to be well supported for all the charitable work that he does on behalf of Thais for Life and PGF and the camp courtesy he gives all his customers. Apart from his stage appearances as half of the Dolly Sisters (the larger half!) and despite his medical problems he continues to be one of Pattaya's nicer personalities with a good word for everyone - well almost. No doubt many of his former customers will now decamp to Boyz Town.

As for the history of My Life: it started as a business premises (having laid empty for many years after it was built in the early 80s as the Indian owner refused to sell) as a laundry run by two charming young Thais; after a short while they decided to turn it into a karaoke bar which they sucessfully ran for over a year. It was then sold to the lunatic (meant in its correct sense as one affected by the new moon) former owner of Amor Bar (where Amor Restuarant now is that was formerly the Key Hole straight bar) who tried to keep the Amor name before changing it to Mandate and introducing for a short while some go-go hosts. I believe Terry became involved in partnership with him quite a while later and has continued to run My Life for the past eleven years - not a bad achievement for a small go-go less bar. And good luck to Terry in his retirement.

And Oscars? Originally a bar of this name was situated opposite the present Ice Cafe Berlin opened by a triple partnership of Ron, Martin Fruitin and another former circus employee from the States who got done out of his share and decamped. Ron tried to keep it going for a while by turning it into a cafe downstairs with a go-go bar upstairs. It lasted a short while before the shutters went up.

To complete this story some readers may remember Wildes Bar down near Soi Diamond, Thai run and again short lived demonstrsting that location is everything. They had some quite good cabaret shows from, I believe Tiffanys and Alcazar and the layout was nice not having those aweful pillars every four metres, but the surrounding straight bars ensured very few farang customers willing to run the gauntlet of straights watching the comings and goings.

[/google]