Apart from home barbecues and Hamburger Mary's http://www.hamburgermarys.net/0406/home.htm and the occasional New York deli, I never get a good one. This week I foolishly tried a Big Mac - there was a delay of 4 minutes while it was freshly made but I found it revolting and left two thirds - mind you the fries were superb. I saw a new Hamburger place in Central World Plaza which looked promising but it was so-so -= requested medium rare served blue, steak fries were virtually raw - They did return them after I insisted - but they came back still hard, cole slaw revolting - a good Pepsi Max. I had to eat fries again at Saladang Cafe by Jim Thompson - hand hewn huge piping hot golden brown soft and moist, service with little bowls of mayo and ketchup - yum yum best that I have had in Thailand.!

In the UK we have various 'Gourmet' Hamburger joints costing about ┬г10 (US$20) for a big burger and fries and a bit of salad and none have impressed. Mind you, Tootsies can come up with a fair one organic and tasty, competently cooked and presented.

I don't eat Hamburgers that often but lately I seem to have a craving - probably brought on by excessive glimpses of advertisements and references to Niddy's Nook. I had a fair one at Mali on Sathorn Soi 1 just round the corner from the Malaysia, Bangkok. It was Ozzie beef and was very moist and tender but lacked much flavour and charring 200 baht.

"Why do Hamburgers in my canteen taste better than anywhere else" cried one of the Ford family. It seemed when he ordered one a large prime, angus, grain fed beef rib steak was minced and cooked to order. Similarly? Jim Lumsden tells me that the Ambiance cafe has the best burgers in Pattaya? With his current sylph like figure he probably has to forgo them.

I am not looking for Kobe beef in a sesame bun with slivers of pan seared foie gras, just a good large 10 oz+ burger nicely charred outside and moist and pink in the middle, in a nice fresh bun with some good fries at a reasonable price? say under 300 baht, as the beef will probably have to be imported. Thought! I wonder if Mignon do one their beef is local and always excellent. Maybe Manhattens but I'm sure they would break that price barrier.