Quote Originally Posted by poshglasgow View Post
Many thanks for this most comprehensive reply.

The area I'm having difficulty with is this question of the return ticket to the UK from Bangkok. Although in thirty years of visiting Thailand I have never been asked to show proof of a return airline ticket, I am under the impression that there could be problems if, during the 30-day stay, you go to the immigration office and ask for an extension of the visa and it shows that the return ticket is in fact valid for a date in excess of the 30-day on arrival visa. In that situation it looks as if I am confident of being granted an extension to the 30-day visa. I'm not even sure if airlines flying between the UK and Thailand will let you book a return to the UK that exceeds the 30-day visa date for departure from Bangkok.

My ideal scenario is: fly to Thailand and return to the UK after six weeks, during which time in Thailand I will take a short trip to Cambodia by air.

As you mentioned, it is very rare for Thai Immigration at an air entry port to ask to see an onward ticket. Based on your scenario, you should have no difficulty with Thai Immigration - if, during your initial stay of 30 days, you go to an Immigration Office for a 30 day extension and they want to see your onward ticket, your departure will be within the next 30 days. So no problem there.

As mentioned, the likely problem, and this depends on your airline, will be in boarding in the UK for travel to Thailand, as they may require your onward ticket show departure within the 30 day permission to stay granted upon entry for Visa Exempt arrivals. As I understand it, there are websites that for a small fee, cab provide a "ticket" for that purpose (not a real booking).