Of much larger concern to me than the emasculation of the gay bar areas in Pattaya, is what will become of Dongtarn Beach? It is the other side of the former equation -- you go to the beach during the day and the bars at night. That was a near-perfect routine for many of us for many years I suspect.

So we have talked about the bars ad nauseum, but what about our beloved beach? It used to be a place where one could find solace, acceptance, friendship, entertainment, a good "massage", nice food on the beach (I miss Tui's Place), and an occasional "surprise".

Like many on this forum, I am away from Thailand at present (last visit October 2019) but in my correspondence with my friends and compatriots who are still there (some happily "marooned", some not so happily "marooned" there) that at present of course Dongtarn is a figment of its former glory.

But can it survive? Will it survive? Will it morph into just another (editorial, "boring") Pattaya/Jomtien beach plot? Or will we be squeezed out of this one remaining delight?

As for me, I am still grieving over the "improvements" to Dongtarn from 1-2 years ago when (almost) all of the nice shade trees were cut down and the road widened from a nice path to regular (boring) road, and the rules for contact there began to be dictated by the "gestapo's" rules.

I hope we can find a way to save the remaining joys of that beach. But I am not so sure we will be able to do so.