I have some sympathy with Moses's view that there should be some urgency to vaccine development.

However, I'd still want to see trial results for ~10,000 people in a double blind trial.

Here's an example of independent press comment on the Russian vaccine: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/w...-approval.html

Of course, I'd still like to see the west accelerate things a little. If we look at the Russian case, where Moses informs us that they've run some trials in hospital, it follows that they have probably deliberately infected people in order to check the results. I think that's a good idea, as long as they were volunteers.

In contrast, the Oxford vaccine has expanded the trial to Brazil & South Africa, in order to get more exposure to random infections.
Considering the potential to accelerate vaccine development, at minimal risk AND with a lower net death rate, I think deliberately infecting volunteers should be considered in the west as well. ie Copy some methods which must have been used in Russia.

Finally, if Mr Putin has announced this vaccine before a phase 3 trial is complete, then obviously if phase 3 trials show some side effects, then "commitment bias" will make it more difficult to cancel the vaccine.