Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: The China virus: calling a spade a spade

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran
    Liked

The China virus: calling a spade a spade

Like a lot of people, I'm very upset by the death and devastation this virus is causing all over the world. I have elderly grandparents for whom this virus could spell death. More than that, I'm angry, angry at China and its people for their craving for exotic meats sold in filthy wet markets which, incidentally, are being re-opened.

Today, a few friends and I told off this mainland Chinese girl in one of our social media chat groups for hoarding and selling surgical masks she had imported from China here in Sg. She had at least a thousand of these masks which are meant for frontline healthcare providers and shouldn't be sold to the lay public at all. She was selling them at $5 a piece, which is about 116Bt at today's rates. She knew she couldn't sell them through the usual platforms like Lazada because she would get caught as hoarding and selling masks at exorbitant prices is an offence. The girl, a uni student here, went ballistic when we tried to explain to her what she was doing was wrong and started calling us names. This is typical behaviour for them; try pointing out their selfish behaviour or lack of etiquette, and they will petulantly unleash a torrent of verbal abuse on us in OUR country. And she's doing her masters on scholarship provided by OUR government.

I just can't believe their selfishness and arrogance and it took a lot of self restraint not to respond in kind to her. This kind of behaviour from the mainlanders is nothing new to us but I thought they would at least show some kind of contrition, or humility perhaps, knowing that this virus originated from their country. Instead, she attempted to profit from it!

I'm Chinese and we are the overwhelming majority here but my friends and I find that we have very little in common with the mainlanders. Many of them are rude, selfish, loud, arrogant and very entitled. They act like THEY are doing us a favour by coming here.

Sorry for whinging. Anyway, I'd like to share with you this vid by Bill Maher. Really worth watching and thinking about.

PS Moderators, please help to embed this video. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jellybean; April 14th, 2020 at 02:48. Reason: Video corrected

2. 5 Users gave Like to post:

Khor tose (April 15th, 2020), llz (April 22nd, 2020), Micky (April 14th, 2020), poshglasgow (April 14th, 2020), Smiles (April 17th, 2020)