Unfortunately, I shall not be in Thailand for this year’s Songkran festival which, according to a recent report in the Bangkok Post, will be a more subdued event this year. Hopefully, if all goes well, I should be in Bangkok this time next year. In the meantime, I should be interested in hearing from members lucky enough to be in Bangkok for the festival.

City scraps Khao San, Silom fetes

Khao San and Silom roads will remain open during the Songkran festival this year, but won't host any entertainment shows and events, according to City Hall.

The Songkran organisers' decision not to hold any events on the two roads to celebrate the festival this year is in light of the preparations for His Majesty the King's coronation from May 4-6, which is only a month away.

City clerk Sinlapasuai Sawisaengsun said on Thursday the two roads will still be open to Songkran revellers. They will be free to splash water but there will be no celebratory entertainment.

The Songkran long weekend is from April 13 to 16. City Hall has prohibited the use of high-pressure water guns and the consumption of alcohol at the celebration venues.

The festival will take place between April 11 and 14 in the Thai traditional theme at Lumpini Park, which is close to Silom Road. The sacred Phra Buddha Sihing Buddha statue will be brought from the Phutthaisawan Throne Hall and moved around the city for the public to pay their respects during the Songkran period.

Meanwhile, Nok Air plans to end flights between Bangkok and Nan after the Songkran festival, according to Nan airport general manager Ruangyuth Nittayanon.

He said on Thursday the airport has been notified by the budget airline of its decision to stop flying the route from April 18, after more than one year in service.

Nok Air, which is operating at a loss, did not explain the reason, he added.

Source: Bangkok Post - 5 April 2019
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...an-silom-fetes