Goji - I think the issue (and I'm second guessing Francois here, so I hope he forgives me if I'm wrong) is exactly the process of "proving" the 65,000B minimum monthly income.

I'm speculating that people who are in this uncertain situation are wanting to know what "proof" is acceptable if (for example) the 65,000B minimum isn't paid directly into a Thai Bank account every month.

For example, suppose I was receiving a monthly UK pension which is paid into a UK Bank account and is easily the equivalent of 65,000B or more - but I only need 50,000B to live on in Thailand so that is what I have been transferring each month - or maybe what I require varies each month so the transfers are variable.

Technically, I have easily the required amount as income but I'm not bringing it all into Thailand so I then fall below the threshold.

Where do I stand then? Can I submit UK Bank statements showing more than 65,000B a month or are those irrelevant? Is it only what I transfer to my Thai Bank that's acceptable and if so then it looks like I'm up the creek without a paddle as I haven't been transferring 65,000B as neither the rules nor my circumstances required it.

There's no point starting to transfer 65,000B a month NOW because when I come to renew/extend my retirement visa/leave to stay then it will be what I've transferred in the last year that will be relevant, not what I'm starting to do now.

And maybe I don't have around £20K that I can shove into a Thai Bank account either. Maybe I didn't have a house to sell or maybe I'm renting it out. Maybe I'm living in Thailand entirely on a pension or other income and never thought I would suddenly need £20K to stick in a bank account to ensure my residency. Who could have predicted that?

I'm just giving that as an example, I'm not saying it's a real scenario for anybody - but it illustrates a potential difficulty, and the problem is there seems to be no advice whatsoever to ex-pats to help them comply. They seem to have been left high and dry by their Consular officials.