Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
spoken like a true believer that all you need for a career in "software development" in the Internet age is a few MOOC courses - I mean who needs computer science and software engineering skills when you can develop and distribute your "killer app" on the mobile app stores with a couple of dodgy, insecure and unstable public libraries and a few code snippets from stackoverflow
*shrug* My latest software platform just underwent a $12,000 security audit / vuldnerability testing, and passed with flying colors. Sorry, but a computer science degree is generally quite useless for a multitude of reasons. Technology simply moves too quickly, so you'll start university most likely learning obsolete technology and methodology, then by the time you're done not only is everything you've learned obsolete, it's ancient by then. Plus simple knowledge doesn't make a good software engineer -- the ability to learn, innovate, and adapt do that.

I've hired a good number of 4 year grads straight out of university, as I used to live right by the U of A so it was easy to recruit (just walk over and post a flyer on the jobs board). Not one of them said their degree helped them with their job with me.

Obviously though, if you go somewhere like CMU then it's a different story. There you're doing ASM, writing your own kernels and programming languages, etc. That's quite different than your average 4 year Comp Sci degree though.

It's a moot point anyway, as us developers have about 3 - 5 years left, before 95% of us are out of a job, and are replaced with a few AI algorithms.