hey I will be arriving BKK on 22 may for a 24 day stay - I have been travelling to thailand for over 30 years and I must admit that most of the time over the last few years has been spent in Pattaya, BKK, Phuket and Chiang Mai. When I first wen to LOS I traveled around the country quite a bit..but have forgotten most of my travels.

Anyway, I have a guy who I have been seeing for several years. He has decided we should take a vacation together. He is not a MB in the classic sense (he never worked in a bar but I do give him 500-1000 baht a day when we are together in Thailand). I have asked my friend and of course it is "up to you" and my thinking is well since I do not live in Thailand and you mentioned you wanted to go on vacation maybe it should be "fxcking up to you" but that will not get me anywhere.

Any suggestions on travel destinations within Thailand or nearby?

I am pretty much templed out and I am not big on the touristy things - boat tours, elephant rides, temples, etc. I don't mind nature but tend to want to admire it from afar.

I tend to prefer conversations to go go bars and my friend will not go to bars.

So any suggestions on a place to hang out for a week? A place with a few distractions? Interesting sights to see? etc. but with a few expats who might be interesting company.