Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
Does one member state have the right to veto a proposed member if all others agree to it?
Currently, yes, it requires all member states to agree. It wouldn't surprise me if that doesn't change at some point in the future though, as Turkey knows that the Greek veto would always mean it could never join the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
Unless they already have private health insurance (and i am sure most don't), age is likely to mean most of these people will have to return to the UK.
I don't think many will even think of returning to the UK. After all, expats in Thailand and elsewhere in the world have to buy medical insurance, don't they? It's also a lot easier to return to the UK for treatment if you're in Spain. Long term expats might also decide to apply for dual nationality, adding Spanish citizenship to their mix. The UK Government might even be willing to agree to continue to finance EHIC.

Again, with the flights, huge numbers of expats live a lot further away than Spain, with much more difficult travel arrangements. I can't believe there won't be flights from the major cities, all of which are within a few hours reach, or that the ferries will stop just because we left the EU. The flights rely much more on British tourism for their existence than expats.