When I come to Thailand, my stomach appreciates if I gradually transition into the less expensive local cuisine. Usually the first week or so, I consume a lot of the food I am used to. Being an avid reader of this board, I decided to try Niddy's Nook. In my humble opinion, this is what I found when I went there.

Niddy's Nook is very convenient to find. I arrived in the Day Night Area around 1:00 p.m. and walked past the nook and decided to walk up, but as i looked inside, I saw noone. I thought maybe it was still early and decided to walk around the Day Night Area and see what was going on (not much at 1:00 p.m.). I then returned to the Nook at 2:00 and looked through the doors for about 2 minutes and again saw neither employee or customer. Still I decided to walk inside. I sat down at one of the tables and all of a sudden out of nowhere I hear "Hello, how are you sir?" I looked around in shock, and from behind the bar arose someone to come over and take my order, a great trick!

Again, reading this message board a great number of times left me little decision on what to eat, I had to settle my curiousity and try the cheeseburger. I ordered it and a beer. As I waited for my beer, I looked around and found the nook to be pleasant, with nice artwork on the walls. It was very small, but cozy. As LMTU said in a previous post, there is a vent that smelled bad while I was outside, but I could not smell it inside.

The cheeseburger came and I found most of it quite good. It was a good size patty with cheese melted on top. I added to it some tomatoes, lettuce, and mustard and I found it all to be quite delicious, well seasoned, and juicy. The seasoning on the burger reminded me of the chain "In and Out" from the western US, very good.

I only had two issues with the plate I was served. First the bun was not that great. I appreciated it had sesame seeds on it, but the bread was a little hard. Toasting or even just warming the bread would add a great deal to the burger, instead the bun kind of made my mouth dry. Secondly, my french fries were overcooked. I realize they were frozen fries just refried, but when overcooked in oil they tend to get a little gummy and take in too much oil. The fries definitely were not something that I enjoyed, and I left most of them on my plate.

My total for my lunch: 235 Baht, which I felt was a little bit more than I think I should have paid for my meal. The Cheeseburger was quite good, but not 180 Baht worth of good. It had a great flavor, but for the value I may stick to McDonalds or Burger King. The beer of course was a beer. One nice touch was at the end of the meal I was poured from the bar a small cordial to end my meal. I will probably return to the nook to try some of their other food, but I will probably not again order the cheeseburger. While I do not highly recommend it, I definitely do recommend that you stop by and try it, who knows, you may like it, after all, this is just my opinion.

NIDDY'S NOOK

Atmosphere 8/10
Service 7/10
Food 7/10
Value 5/10

HWT