Not much seems to be happening on the platforms of the Skytrain or the MTR in hot, steamy Bangkok. Travellers stand in line, chat, look around, check their mobile phones and patiently wait for the trains. So it was a bit of a shock this morning when reaching the top of the escalator at Saladaeng BTS station to be greeted by the sight of two slim youngish (maybe 30 or so) farang guys kissing. But this was no peck on the cheek. This was the real McCoy тАУ body pressed to body, mouth glued to mouth, tongue down your throat kissing.

Walking past them, I looked at the reactions of the others on the platform, almost all Thai. Many diverted their gaze. A few younger ones looked on тАУ perhaps in envy? Some older ones had an obvious look of disdain.

What to do? I was tempted to go up to them and suggest as tactfully as I could that such displays of affection in a public place are actually offensive to many Thais. I wondered how they would react. Ignore me? Tell me to f--k off? An approaching train saved me. As I boarded, I could see the two of them still at it, breaking off just in time to board before the doors closed.

I have seen handholding, arms draped over shoulders, arms around waists in a public space before. Never the full Monty! I wonder what you would have done? Passed by and let them get on with it?