Quote Originally Posted by maxdamron
I agree that there are more choices and opportunities out there today for gay men and women than we have ever seen in the past. Even Florida had their ban on gay adoption ended recently. But what goes on in schools does not, unfortunately, mirror these advances. The level of harassment that lgbt teens face in schools, especially in the South and through the Bible Belt in the U.S. is still a huge problem. In fact, most of the suicides have taken place in those parts of the country. And we are not even mentioning the tens of thousands of our teens who are living on the streets. Most of these kids are either throw aways or kids who have run away to avoid the homophobic attitudes they face at home. How many of these teens wind up in a morgue that we never even hear about. If only life would become easier for our youth. Yes, being a gay teen is a lot easier today than when I grew up in the 50's and 60's. But it still has a long way to go.
It's actually sad to think that still a lot of people are discriminating those who chose to be "different". I have actually heard a lot of lgbt teens who are committing suicide because of having suffered from bullying by their own peers and despite all these news, the problem on bullying still continues. Maybe as parents, we can start helping our lgbt teens by giving them the support and acceptance that they needed. We shouldn't wait until our teens take matters into their own hands.