Quote Originally Posted by pong
NO-that WAS long ago-and strange howit may appear to you, these rates have been raised twice/year and in fact depend on the province. Currently in BKk its about 230/240-to just under 200 in the poorest of isan chiangwats. As about anyone who follows Thai politics will know, one major promise of the redshirt taksin follwers was to raise it to 300 bt/day -has yet to happen
For BKK and the m2m msg shops: you all have a small world, as you only seem to be able to think of the centre-Silom ghetto area. Out of it the min tip is mostly 500-and many boys with whom i talked said this was the normal rate too-for Thai. Can include ''everything'' - no real negotation needed.
The quoted amounts that ''have not been raised'' since the last x yrs were far too high then and still are. No wonder they give you a false impression.
What HAS raised in the last 10 yrs or so is the complete inability of newcome tourists to bargain properly with knowing the normal prices-for things like those dreaded tuktuks, T-shirts etc- no wonder such a grasshopper pague of crooks is trying to eke out a living on that. or stimulate the Phuket etc creeps
Speaking of tuk Tuks I avoid them completely in Bangkok is I have never found a tuk tuk willing to even match the price of a proper taxi.