The Nation, Friday 19th May 06

"Rat Burana police are hunting a possible male cross-dresser suspected of involvement in the death of a police officer in a hotel room early on Wednesday morning. The suspect has been identified as Seksan Khamwong, who police said had frequently claimed to be close to an extra in a budget movie. A sketch of him, which depicts a woman with a physical resemblance to a man of around 30-40 years of age with permed hair and the facial structure of a man, standing around 168 cm tall, has been circulated.

No criminal charge will be filed against Seksan when he is apprehended until after questioning and subsequent confirmation that he had drugged Police Lt-Colonel Chanin Bunnag on purpose, or suffocated him, Rat Burana police said. A police coroner said Chanin had died of suffocation. A forensic test to find out whether he had been drugged or poisoned was underway and would be completed next week.

Chanin was found lying on his stomach with his face buried in a pillow when hotel staff opened his room at 3pm the next day. The suspect could have forced the officer's face into the pillow to suffocate him, or Chanin might have had a stroke, then a heart attack. According to police, Chanin, chief detective of Talad Phloo police station, first met the suspect at a pub in Thon Buri Plaza entertainment complex at around 2am, and they later went together to a restaurant in Bang Khun Thien district before checking in at the Suksawas 19 Inn hotel at 4am.

Anant Sumano of the hotel staff said a phone call was made from the room, telling the operator, in exhausted tones, "Don't let the girl get my car if she leaves." "When I took the phone from the operator, a masculine voice on the phone said: "Let her get the car, she's my girl." Anant said neither he nor the operator could tell whether the first or second voice was Chanin speaking. After five minutes, the man left the room and drove the car away. Anant said the person looked like a male cross-dresser with cheek and chin plastic surgery."