I decided that instead of sitting at home all weekend PISSED OFF that my adsl "service" in Bnagkok is INSUFFICIENT to protect my own safety (I am thinking of my OWN million man march on an ISP headqusrters, if anyone else is with me) I decided too hi-tail it to Laos for at least the weekend. Having feared extreme heat I find fortunately the weather here is very mild, quite a cool breeze in fact.

Everything seemed completely normal at the rail way station on Thursday. There were seats. The crowd was sparse. Wasn't there a major crisis about to happen? Wouldn't Thais be FLEEING Bangkok and their safety (like me)? There was NO commotion. Nothing to indicate anything extraordinary going on. A major crisis was unfolding possibly changing Thai government as they knew it forever and it was like NOTHING was going on.

If it wasn't already reported, there is now a gay bar in Vien Chaing. It's name is GQ bar. It is well located to the tourist restaurant/guest house area just a 5-10 minute walk from the fountain, on one of the roads leading into the river. Search for it on Gay Romeo. I passed by it last night. It looked kinda nice on the inside with a few friendly customers. I couldn't stay, however, as Boy Lao, whom I met at the internet cafe as soon as I got here (can you believe that out of about 25 GR candidates I met the one when I got here?), didn't want to go in. He said 1) his friends tell him it is too expensive, and 2) he is afraid that maybe he could be seen by certain of his friends from high school in there and he doesn't want that to happen. As to what has been reported here as possible unfriendliness I must say Boy Lao has met no resistance at the hotel, going as far as just parking his motorbike on the deck in front of the manager without even a eye being lashed. Just like in America, I guess. Maybe it helps that I have a double. There are many discos in town, to "expensive" for me to go into. A lot of the old shops seem to be closing but restaurants are getting a little better even. Despite the HORRIBLY low dollar (about 8000 now) it's still a real good deal.

{{{{{Incorrect Statement about a wine shop deleted here. VC is still a great excuse just to shop for wine!}}}}}}}}}}}}}

The river right now is an area of some major work with dump trucks, bulldozers, rock smashers, and more all over the place moving dirt here or there all day and night with the restaurants picking up only after dusk. The river is very low, everyone blaming it on China's damming upriver. Makes for an interesting walk out the river. Maybe the waterfall today. I know it's supposed to be a disappointment but we'' go see it, for myself.

I think Vien Chaing boys are different than Luang Prabang boys. I don't know. I just thought I'd throw that out. Maybe I'll learn more depending on the "situation" Tuesday whether to go north or back south.